who were the old ones?

Tech Priest Squeak

RE: who were the old ones?

Postby Tech Priest Squeak at 22 May 2001, 21:29

ive heard that the fantasy world was created by a civ of beings called "the old ones" i just wondered, does anybody know what and who they were?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 25 May 2001, 19:11

As far as I know, they were an ancient and powerful civilisation of reptilian sorcerors who controlled and shaped the Warhammer World.  They left when the magic fell apart, and the Chaos Wastes appeared (which was thousands of years ago)
Their only legacy are the Lizardmen, who I think are there descendants (kinda)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Tech Priest Squeak

Postby Tech Priest Squeak at 25 May 2001, 20:40

according to my sources its quite possible that they weren't reptilian, the Lizardmen were genetically enginerred to serve the old ones. the old ones died/left when their warp gate in the polar regions collapsed createing the chaos wastes.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 26 May 2001, 20:45

Quote: from Tech Priest Squeak on 9:40 pm on May 25, 2001
according to my sources its quite possible that they weren't reptilian, the Lizardmen were genetically enginerred to serve the old ones. the old ones died/left when their warp gate in the polar regions collapsed createing the chaos wastes.

Because of the Slann being the way they are, and because they were their masters pyschic slaves, I just thought that they would be similar. What is the point of being humanoid only to genetically engineer reptiles? surely mamals would have been a more likely choice for humanoid "Old Ones"

<!--EDIT|IBBoard|Apr 14 2005, 04:48 PM-->
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Tech Priest Squeak

Postby Tech Priest Squeak at 28 May 2001, 20:03

what do you mean humanoid? the lizardmen are humanoid! the lizardmen were the old ones slaves, produced to be at home in the humid conditions of the southern continent. they may have been reptilian or they may have been shapeshifters. the lizardmen pictures of them show them in many different forms.

SaMeDi

Postby SaMeDi at 27 Jun 2001, 20:06

OK there is no description which i have found of what the old ones look like (and infact i quote from an official book "No-one knows what the old ones looked like", but the slann and maybe some others came from the old ones' home world the rest came from mutating lizzys. Also though one of the old ones (i assume) Sotek manifested imself as a big serpent to scare off the mice men (i would of thought puttind cheese in the sea, or breeding viscious kitty cats, would have been easier though) oh yeah, my fingers hurt....

Tech Priest Squeak

Postby Tech Priest Squeak at 27 Jun 2001, 20:35

some of the oldest Slann have seen the old ones, but most haven't. the lizardmen writings about them says they can take on mant forms.......

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 03 Jul 2001, 09:19

Each Lizardman god has a different mifestation don't they?  (Similar to the Egyptians)  This means that they could have been shape shifters, who appeared in a pleasing/scary form for their believers/enemies.

Tech Priest Squeak

Postby Tech Priest Squeak at 03 Jul 2001, 17:52

they are worshiped as Gods but they weren't just very powerful beings, it says in the lizardman army book that technology and magic were as one to them, sounds like the Eldar doesn't it?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 05 Jul 2001, 14:43

Quote: from The Emperor on 6:52 pm on July 3, 2001
they are worshiped as Gods but they weren't just very powerful beings, it says in the lizardman army book that technology and magic were as one to them, sounds like the Eldar doesn't it?

But to an uncivilised/backward/not very technologically mionded race, any technology will seem like magic.
Show a Amazonian the power of a rifle, and he will cower from the evil magic.

<!--EDIT|IBBoard|Apr 14 2005, 05:41 PM-->

Tech Priest Squeak

Postby Tech Priest Squeak at 05 Jul 2001, 20:39

true but the Slann knew about the old ones tech, they used it and helped create a lot of it, like the polar warp gates and they still worshipped them

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 06 Jul 2001, 09:53

Quote: from The Emperor on 9:39 pm on July 5, 2001
true but the Slann knew about the old ones tech, they used it and helped create a lot of it, like the polar warp gates and they still worshipped them
<p>Technology can still be revered, even when it is used.  Just because the Slaan used the technology doesn't mean it wouldn't have seemed magical still.

Tech Priest Squeak

Postby Tech Priest Squeak at 07 Jul 2001, 13:07

Quote: from The Emperor on 10:53 am on July 6, 2001
Quote: from The Emperor on 9:39 pm on July 5, 2001
<p>Technology can still be revered, even when it is used. Just because the Slaan used the technology doesn't mean it wouldn't have seemed magical still.
<p>true just look at the warhammer 40k universe and old ones tech was magical, a combination of magic and tech all was the same to them

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 28 Jul 2001, 18:29

I think the old ones were like the gods of the old world, superstrong powerful beings, or magical beings.
Also aren't the chaos powers their enemies as well (like the titans in greek mythology?)

Warmaster Horus

Postby Warmaster Horus at 28 Jul 2001, 18:33

that was supposed to be me

Next