IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

New Games Workshop website - articles

Postby IBBoard at 07 May 2009, 19:09

Has anyone bothered looking at the articles on the new-look GW website? I'd given up looking for them in the first half of the year because GW seemed to have stripped the UK site down to sales only with it just being a big catalogue. The old design was much easier to navigate to the articles.

This month in White Dwarf they mentioned about visiting the GW site for more articles on something, so I thought I'd check again. They're a bit easier to find (there's now a "40K Articles" item in the 40K menu) but the quality and navigation has gone down hill.

Want to find Ork articles? Tough luck, they're grouped by hobby topic (e.g. collecting, modelling, painting etc). What to find useful and interesting articles? Tough luck, you've got to find them amongst the barely disguised adverts (a "promotional video" of the Stompa). Want to find GW hosted content? Tough luck, the videos are on YouTube (which IMO shows a cheap-ass company). Want to navigate it quickly? Tough luck, they've got scripts that trigger your browser's "unresponsive script" features (for me at least).

Why do companies do this? Why do they have perfectly usable and navigable sites with good content only to redesign them to hide the content and make things slow?
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

CLAN WARLORD
Giant Rat
Giant Rat
Progress to next rank:

40%

Re: New Games Workshop website - articles

Postby CLAN WARLORD at 10 May 2009, 14:37

i agree with you on the most part but i dont find it that difficult i can find almost all of the things i used to use on games workshop and i think in some cases its even better my skaven tactica page has dissapeered now though but thats about it

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: New Games Workshop website - articles

Postby IBBoard at 10 May 2009, 17:32

For a hobby website, they put a huge emphasis on the "buying" part now and hide the articles at the bottom of the list as one link. By bunching it all up like that and semi-hiding it they've taken half of the character out of it.

I used to like the race themed articles sections as it meant you knew exactly where the articles that were relevant to you and the armies you collected were. Now you've got to go check out three or four different sections in case they've added something.

If you get used to it then it might still be okay to find articles, but I know I'm not going to bother putting in much effort finding anything on the new layout because it is too much hassle to find Ork-specific stuff now.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)