13%

What to choose?

Postby Firsto at 24 Oct 2008, 19:16

Hello,

I'm new to all this warhammer
I'm not sure where to start fantasy / 40000

I'm totally into tactic game so this sound like a new hobby for me too
I'm good at spray painting / brush skills so that's no problem

Is there a place that explain all those clan / army set what they good for etc.? I try to read at GW book ,but it does not make any sense to me yet...

My Goal to paint some bad a$$ figure and to be able to play the game

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: What to choose?

Postby IBBoard at 25 Oct 2008, 09:33

The best place to look for general background used to be the Games Workshop website. I just tried going to the Warhammer 40,000 section, though, and they've turned it all in to a huge store and the articles are buried and seemingly fewer :\

After a bit of digging, there's background for the 40K races here and Warhammer background here. The old layout used to be much more extensive and more useful for grouping of articles, though.

If you're trying to pick between the two systems as well then there's two main factors.

First is which background you prefer. I started with Warhammer but moved to 40K at the release of 3rd Edition. In gaming terms I prefer the 40K background. In terms of stories I'd much rather read a Warhammer novel, though (e.g. Gotrek and Felix or Genevieve).

The second factor is style. Warhammer is very unit based. Angling of units, view arcs (45 degrees to either side of the direction the unit is facing) and other "block of troops" factors are important in your tactics. 40K has recently gone more "involved". Line of sight is now absolute (if you can see it at model level then you can shoot it) and the game play is more flowing with squads being individuals within a set distance of each other. Everyone can now run if they don't shoot in 40K as well, so the game has more pace to it and devastating combat isn't normally too far away.

So, it mainly depends on what takes your fancy from those two angles :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Firsto
Giant Rat
Giant Rat
Progress to next rank:

13%

Postby Firsto at 25 Oct 2008, 20:37

just talk to my RL friend to start playing he intested in starting out with Chaos force so i still deciding what force to choose simply because I kinda want to go for look as well as easy in learning

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 28 Oct 2008, 12:50

In terms of which army to choose, appearance is as good as any for some people. If you don't like the look of your army then you won't want to paint it and you won't have as much fun playing with it.

The Games Workshop website will be quite useful if you're picking your army based on appearances. Each race should have (or at least had) a gallery section that contained photos of all of the units available for that race.

In terms of ease of learning, the more special abilities that a unit has then the more difficult it will be to use them effectively. Some units can be used quite bluntly and do quite well (Orcs are one example, since that's their style) but others are okay used bluntly but are best with tactics. Part of it will be a situation of "easy to learn, difficult to master", since just about any army can be a winning army in the hands of the right person.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

CLAN WARLORD
Giant Rat
Giant Rat
Progress to next rank:

40%

Postby CLAN WARLORD at 10 May 2009, 15:05

i think if your trying to decide a system to play its definetly going to be based on how you like to play
where warhammer fantasy it is a lot more tactical with the common situation being that flanks and rears of units are more important and people start making tactics just to stop themselves being charged from the side
where this doesnt apply to all models like skirmishers 40k is essentially armies of skirmishers and that entire tactical section just dissapeers with it.
in the end it will be down to what you like best

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 10 May 2009, 17:43

Warhammer 40,000 still has strategy, but it is an entirely different type of strategy. The strategy is based around tipping devastating fire fights in your favour rather than flanking. The newer 40K is also more troop-oriented, so the little guy matters for taking objectives etc. There are also different things you need to take in to consideration, like defeating heavy armour (tanks) and whether you might get an unexpected deep strike attack.

In general I think the skirmish style of 40K along with its brutal combat and shooting makes it more of a flowing game while Warhammer tends to be sweeping battles of regiments and flank charges.