IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

GW Audiobooks!

Postby IBBoard at 12 Oct 2008, 15:08

While skimming the Black Library pages for free stuff (I will eventually read those Warhammer Monthly PDF files!) I found this. It's a Warhammer 40,000 Horus Heresy audio book. They've actually got samples, so I'll find out how good the voice is later, but I didn't realise GW even made audio books. At least they seem to be keeping with the times a bit.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Crusader
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

28%

Re: GW Audiobooks!

Postby Crusader at 15 Oct 2008, 18:58

I had a listen to the extracts, i think the narration is good, i quite like the subtle soundtrack in the background which gives it a bit more atmosphere.

I think its a good effort for a first atttempt at an audiobook by black library (and being written by Dan Abnett and Graham Mcneill doesnt do it any harm either) maybe its a tester and they will release more novels on audiobook.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: GW Audiobooks!

Postby IBBoard at 16 Oct 2008, 18:36

Yeah, I've had a listen to the samples now. While it could be darker/deeper/gruffer, I guess it could get a little cheesy if taken too far. What they have is probably a reasonable compromise and something that would sell well.

They've sold out now, so I'm guessing they were popular. I don't remember it being advertised in WD, so they may even have missed out on part of an audience.

What do you think the chances are that they'll make it available as a digital version for download as well? I'm guessing slim to none, or only with their own excessive custom DRM (Digital Restrictions Management).
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)