Two new space marine chapters

Kjetil136
3rd Year Cadet
3rd Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

20%

Two new space marine chapters

Postby Kjetil136 at 17 Sep 2008, 07:21

So i got one of my friends started on 40k. We had talked about what type of army he would want to play and he decided on space marines. Not surprising for new players but he seemed to like especially after reading a few omnibuses. So we sat down and planed out what style of army he wanted to play while i came up with back story for the army. All the while reading more about the universe on Lexicanum. This actually helped me find a back story for my space marine chapter.
Basically i just wanted to know what people thought of the two banners i came up with as well as paint schemes.

The Pain Bearer's
The are black, ice blue with white and orange eyes, almost a quartered but different

The Shadows of Lorraine
black shadow grey with boltgun metal, a lot of highlighting

both paint schemes are still being worked on and i'll post pictures when i get some completed.
"In a world of darkness, the synapses of conscious thought are like a beacon of hope... or despair."

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: Two new space marine chapters

Postby IBBoard at 18 Sep 2008, 20:03

I like both banners, although I'm not sure how they'll work on a smaller scale.

Between the colour schemes I prefer the sound of the second one. Unless you get it just right then the first one might have a bit too much contrast to be pulled off right (black vs white, black vs ice blue and ice blue vs orange).

In terms of names I think the first one is the best as it's quite Marine like to bear pain. Shadows of Lorraine could be a later chapter, but it's also a bit close to an Eldar name in some ways (although that could just be me).
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Kjetil136
3rd Year Cadet
3rd Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

20%

Postby Kjetil136 at 22 Sep 2008, 06:35

i could post a picture, the first group has orange for the eyes colors and there is a lot of contrast but i think the scheme seems to work. i'll actually have to post some finished models. the backstory of the second chapter is based off the crusaders of lorraine, godfrey and such. We actually started with the symbols and then worked from there. i ended uop typing out two pages of story.
"In a world of darkness, the synapses of conscious thought are like a beacon of hope... or despair."

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 22 Sep 2008, 19:45

Two pages? Sounds a bit more sketched out than most gamer's armies! I must confess that I hadn't heard of those crusades, though, (we must only ever have skimmed over them at school) so I didn't know it was a real-world Templar reference. Photos would definitely make things a bit clearer on how well it works together, though.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Kjetil136
3rd Year Cadet
3rd Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

20%

Postby Kjetil136 at 03 Oct 2008, 19:03

ImageImage

this is the base color scheme that i had, this is a bad picture but i took it 4 years ago. I feel it worked but i could be blinded by my position. any comments would be appreciated and try not to focus on the exact model too much just the color scheme.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 04 Oct 2008, 10:38

The blue and white work okay together, but the black looks a bit odd when it's not in a set pattern. It would probably look a bit better when you added some highlighting to make the edges a bit more definite and a little less like unpainted undercoat :) The eyes look better than I was expecting, but they look more like the dark orange/red colour than the lighter orange I was thinking of.

Kjetil136
3rd Year Cadet
3rd Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

20%

Postby Kjetil136 at 04 Oct 2008, 21:51

i think it is just a bad picture and i will get a picture of my commander up soon. I really should highlight them but i currently am away at school.