IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Warhammer 40K 5th Edition in under 2 months

Postby IBBoard at 18 May 2008, 18:28

Hmmmm, that's strange. I've not seen anything in White Dwarf about a new edition of 40K (please correct me if I'm wrong) but I just noticed that the main W40K page on the GW site says:
54:4:34:31
days until the release of
"Warhammer 40,000 5th Edition"

That would put it around the 14th July (just before my birthday). I guess I won't be purchasing it, since I've played a handful of 4th Edition games since it was released, and I'll have a one-and-a-half month old child by that point!

Has anyone heard any hints of what it will do? Or will it be another minor tweak like 4th Edition was to 3rd?
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

hessyx2
3rd Year Cadet
3rd Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

20%

Re: Warhammer 40K 5th Edition in under 2 months

Postby hessyx2 at 18 May 2008, 20:17

Hi
yea ave seen it 2 lol, i have hurd thgere are a few change but they have also add a few apocolips rules in (not sure if thats true tho) i wouldnt mind to know if there is going to be a new board game with it or is it just the rules that are changing lol

Hessy

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 19 May 2008, 21:22

Firstly, please follow the rules and don't use "Net Speak". It's not exactly challenging to type "too" instead of "2" and it makes it clear what you mean, especially for non-native English speakers.

As for the rules, I wouldn't be surprised if they incorporated Apocalypse to some degree, even if it's just a basic covering but not the full rules.

GW will probably release a boxed version at the least. The boxed sets are their intro system, letting people get some cheap models and a bit of scenery along with their rules before they get addicted!

Given the lack of news so far (I suspect it may be in my next White Dwarf, but that's a subscription so I receive it early) I think it's most likely to be comparatively small changes.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

thesteelclaw
Yoof
Yoof
Progress to next rank:

20%

Postby thesteelclaw at 20 May 2008, 15:38

Hi I have received issue 342 of white dwarf yesterday and there is some more info in this issue things like true line of sight rules, also mail order it now as well. There will be even more about it in issue 343.
I have sighed up to the games workshop white dwarf online e-mail and it is basically a newsletter to wet you appetite and it was announced in this a while ago.
Looking at what I have seen there are new counter frames as well as collectors editions but the basic book is still £30
I for one am looking forward to it and will be pre ordering it. I have only been playing for about six months so I don’t know the entire 4th edition rules that well anyway plus it was a second hand copy of the rules to get me started.
thesteelclaw

bluelizard1976
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

46%

Postby bluelizard1976 at 20 May 2008, 18:56

Was talking with some friends that have/heard about some of the changes, the consensus is that Workshop have taken the best bits from the 4th edition and bringing back some of he more effective rules from 3rd edition.

Seems that all troops will have the ability to run though they will not be able to assault the same turn.

Deeptrikers will be able to assault now, (my Tyraninds will love that!!) also armies with fleet figures will be able to- move, fleet and run!!!!!

There where a few more things but they have slipped my memory. :?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 21 May 2008, 21:26

Running as well? Not heard that. Deep strike and assault would make sense in some ways, but I can imagine you'd be a bit shell-shocked after landing in a drop pod, plus you'd have to untangle yourself!

As for the email, I've just read back through them (I've been subscribed since very early on) and it was mentioned in there, but not obviously. I just give them a quick skim and missed it, but in Issue 105 (Thank You For The Last 25 Years) it has a section further down titled "And If You Thought That Was Cool..." that mentions it.

Standard rulebook is £30. Collectors edition is £60. Templates are £4, with special new tokens being £8. You can then get a 'Gamers Edition' of standard rulebook, templates and tokens in an ammo tin (marked "Hazard: Danger of pre-detonation if used unblessed") for £60. The gamers and collectors editions are both limited.

Also available to follow the "true line of sight" rules is a "W40K LOS Markerlight" for £6. Personally I'd probably recommend going to your local pet store and get a cheap laser pen intended for use with cats for play time. this one is £1 cheaper, can be attached to keys and can even be used to shine a star on the target instead of a dot :D

Red-terror92
Snot
Snot
Progress to next rank:

10%

Postby Red-terror92 at 04 Jun 2008, 15:32

Hey

Yeah I have heard there will be considerate changes made to all of the armies, aswell as brand new boxed sets, such as "necron warrior phalanx" or some big space marine boxed set, that is like 1500 points inside.

:clap:

thesteelclaw
Yoof
Yoof
Progress to next rank:

20%

Postby thesteelclaw at 05 Jun 2008, 09:09

they have started putting some preview articles on the games workshop website now.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 05 Jun 2008, 12:38

I just checked the UK site and they've got a background and a hobby preview. I quite like the look of the timeline and the race-centric views of the universe.

Larger boxed sets sound about right for GW, especially with the push to Apocalypse. I dread to think how much they'll cost, though. Also, how many people really buy them? I guess they are better value, but they'll be such generic armies that I'm sure they can't be as fun or as personal.

Apparently there is one more preview to come, although I don't quite know what the topic will be.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 20 Jun 2008, 18:43

Wow! According to the latest WD email the Line of Sight marker light (also known as "the branded laser pointer of expense") has sold out already:

WARHAMMER 40,000 L.O.S. MARKERLIGHT
Due to overwhelming popular demand, we regret to announce that the Warhammer 40,000 Line of Sight Markerlight has sold out on our website and through Direct Sales! However, if you get down to your local Hobby Centre or Independent Stockist you might be lucky enough to order one of the last remaining few.

It's amazing what some people will buy in droves!