Is this the best modding forum for 40k around?

Ravage777
4th Year Cadet
4th Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

15%

Is this the best modding forum for 40k around?

Postby Ravage777 at 11 May 2008, 05:47

Is this the bset modding forum for 40k because ive only been able to find a couple others and i just figured out how to get around relics primordial policy of never sending you another confirmation e-mail so they got me as registered but not cofirmed so i cant re-register.
Somebody else had this problem on a forum i seen and they just got a yahoo e-mail and solved it that way.
Im wondering because i really would like to make myself some things so i can better enjoy my game and maybe someday even a campaign but i need some big help and somebody who will take cash for it or just out of thier hearts goodness since i would like to give it away for the sake of fun gaming anyhow.
Are there any good modding forums besides this one,relic and filefront because i only found this one through a link in a post over a year old.
Im not sure yet how easy it will be to find somebody who will explain what terms mean like sga and what other hardcoding jargon means because once i understand what im reading im sure ill be rolling well.
I must admit though from what ive seen so far this forum is by far the best for instructions.
If you undertsand what your reading more than ancient tibetan zimbawe script that is.........

Thanyou
Sincerely
Ravage777

P.S.-if anybody wants to earn a few twentys for information on technical jargon understanding then pm me and well get some pay pal movement going. :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: Is this the best modding forum for 40k around?

Postby IBBoard at 11 May 2008, 10:15

To be perfectly frank, I don't rate FileFront as a modding forum. It's a useful network if you want to push your files to the hordes and not pay for hosting, but beyond that then the forums were (in my experience) generally rather poor.

The other main modding site is Hangar-8's forums. In case you haven't heard of him, Hangar-8 is the guy who makes the amazing badges and banners.

Hangar-8's forums are useful for requests and asking about techniques for better effects on a banner image (i.e. the artsy side) but I think I'm the one with the most understanding of the file formats from a technical stand point.

All of that is Dawn of War, though, so it fits under "Sideline Games" unless it is texture related, at which point it is the "Dawn of War Skinning and Tools" forum :)

As for money, I do the Dawn of War modding for my own interest. If, however, you feel that Skins@HWT and the forums have been useful then feel free to check out our Support Skins@HWT page and make a donation :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Ravage777
4th Year Cadet
4th Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby Ravage777 at 11 May 2008, 21:25

Thanks for the links to hanger 8.
I have never heard of it except mentioned in these forums and i thought it was person.
Ill see if i have his banners and badges so i can add them to my collection if i dont.
I will definately go have a look see on his forums and register there as well.Filefront used to be pretty good you just have to go about a year or more back in thier postings.
Thats what i do but i browse for hours on old posts since most searches dont work worth a damn.

Sincerely
Ravage777

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Postby stfas at 12 May 2008, 07:33

hanger 8 is actually a person, that is his site

Ravage777
4th Year Cadet
4th Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby Ravage777 at 12 May 2008, 12:59

You know i was just thinking,i would be willing to pay somebody to make me sets of space marines for each of my games(all the DOW) by them doing all the file changing stuff for me and then e-mailing me the file and when i get the money and permission for the soultactics mod to be fixed up for me then ill pay somebody for dummy instructions on how to do the same for thier game and ill host it all.
Its easy to pay people like this,either paypal if they trust you to send it first or just mail a half 100$ bill or more and they get the other half when theyre done.
Im figuring 5$ per game per army set.
Soooo,5$ per game is 20$ per set and i would want a space wolf set and a death angel set.
Thats 40$.I e-mail the banners and badges i want used and the number amounts for each color segment in the army painter and wa-la.
What will take me many hours and many posts is now done in a couple days.
Not to mention the death angel set i got is easy,everything is solid black except the gears of war badge and the banner.
If its something small like 20$ im willing to risk paying up front but 200$ is either product first or ill mail half now and half later. :lol:
Oh and i got the arrow red like the badge.
If you know anybody interested in this tell me because from what i hear the file size is easy to e-mail but if its not theres always "you send it" or pando.
Does 5$ sound like enough per game or does 10$ sound more like its worth the time?

Sincerely
Ravage777

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Postby stfas at 12 May 2008, 14:43

i think they would be thinking you are crazy if you payed for mods or textures/skins

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 12 May 2008, 19:53

Hangar-8 ('ar' at the end, not 'er' ;) ) is a person. His website is actually "WH40K: Badges and Banners" but I tend to call it "Hangar-8's site" because that's where his work is.

As for FileFront, it was about a year or two ago when I was there. Either you have better tolerance for the FileFront populace, or you saw a different part of it to me! That's a different matter, though.

With regards paying people for work, as stfas said I think a lot of people would find it strange. I've had someone approach me and say "I can write content for your site for a fee" (to which I said "if you've got enough free time then you can write stuff, but we have no adverts and don't make any money so I won't pay you") but never the other way around. Some people may do it, but most of the best quality people are normally a) busy with other things and/or b) work on what they enjoy rather than doing it for any financial benefit.

If you're talking about the RTX/RSH files for the campaign then they might email (they should be a reasonable amount smaller than a full WTP set and that weighs in at 17MB), but hosting or YouSendIt would probably be better. If other people want them then we could probably host them on Skins@HWT as well.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Ravage777
4th Year Cadet
4th Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby Ravage777 at 14 May 2008, 02:21

Im not sure what you mean by hosting the army colors i buy but if its possible to host the files so anybody can use them or maybe other people want my army colors i will let them be hosted for free.
Why are you so uptight because i would like to purchase services from someone that i find entirely difficult myself to do.
You have a lot to learn about life kid and why people pay money for things.
After i get this done ibb ill send you the stuff and you can see if anything about it you want to host.

Thankyou
Ravage777

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 14 May 2008, 18:36

As in I'll put them on the website so that other people can download them as well. If someone makes something then chances are unless it's very specific then other people might want it too. If that's the case then that's what Skins@HWT is there for.

With regards the payment, it's because it is unusual within the community. As I've said, people normally do it because they want to or because they can. While I won't argue that money is always good to have (I'm 23 with a mortgage and a baby due at the end of the month, which my wife is going to stay home and look after) there's just something slightly strange about being approached by an unknown person on a website and being offered comparatively large amounts of money for what could be quite short pieces of work.

I think this is getting a bit off-topic and confused with some of the other threads, though, so lets try and keep on the "forums for modding DoW" topic :)

Ravage777
4th Year Cadet
4th Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby Ravage777 at 15 May 2008, 01:46

CONGRATULATIONS!
Hmm for some reason the smiles wont work for me but ive been having weird problems ever since i downloaded and installed the new adaware.
I wanted a few claps behind congratulations for the baby.
That must be awsome to have a baby.I lost my wife in accident.
I hope the best for you,your career and your wife.THATS SOOO AWSOME!

Sincerely
Ravage777

P.S.- i will definatley offer up anything i have made for free,it only makes the game more enjoyable for others.Ill also give credit to the makers in the readme because im not one to take credit for something i didnt do.
Thats so entirely awsome you have a baby.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 15 May 2008, 18:46

Thanks. Hopefully everything will be fine and I'll get a decent pay rise again in July (although I'm not holding my breath!)

As for the smilies, check you've not got "disable smilies" ticket and if it still won't work then post a new topic in General Chat about it so I can try to fix it.