IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

New daemonettes

Postby IBBoard at 13 Apr 2008, 19:04

Games Workshop are doing a big Chaos release for WH and 40K soon, including a revamp of the daemons. Some of them could probably do with it, but others I'm not too sure about.

I started gaming with the 'classic' daemonettes - big lobster claws, normally bald, pallid skin, and with very strange feet. The only decent photo I can find for those who never saw them is part way down this page as "Dämonette - Dämon von Slaneesh"

Games Workshop then updated the daemonettes. Gone were the huge red claws, in were smaller, sleeker, spike-like claws that were often dark. They also became a lot more obviously female for supposedly androgynous daemons. The hair was a bit strange, possibly a bit like tentacles, but overall not a bad change.

The latest Daemonettes I'm not so sure about. On the plus side then they at least they are more androgynous. On the down side their faces look a lot more like Joss Whedon's vampires from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The purple paint scheme, while in-keeping, doesn't seem right. The huge hair on some of them is decidedly odd as well, especially when they paint it pink!

It may be nostalgia, but I think I like the older Daemonettes (4th/5th Edition) over the 6th and 7th Edition ones. If I had to rank them then at the moment the newest incarnation gets bonus points for being a multi-part kit (and so hopefully cheaper to build for an army) but I think they rank bottom of the three.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Re: New daemonettes

Postby stfas at 19 Apr 2008, 20:08

i personaly think 7th edition is best looking

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: New daemonettes

Postby IBBoard at 20 Apr 2008, 11:03

But they look like harpies or vampires more than they look like daemonettes. They're supposed to be alluring in some way (yet slightly strange if you actually look past the allure), but they just look a bit too far IMO. The banshee hair doesn't help either!
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)