IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: was the fall inevitable?

Postby IBBoard at 14 Jul 2005, 07:11

Codex:Chaos? strange, would have thought that it'd be in the Eldar one, unless they've not released the 4th Edition-with-some-changes-that-contradict-earlier-fluff version yet :D

Don't think it has been a civil war before now that brought rise to Slaanesh, I thought it was just a general debasement and indulgence in the pleasures (which Eldar can take to the extreme, since they live so long)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

SisterHelios
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby SisterHelios at 14 Jul 2005, 21:33

Thats a good point but you know there still had to be a Civil wr that followed after that just like the Imperiums Horus Heresy

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 15 Jul 2005, 07:03

Possibly, I don't remember reading anything about it though. In fact, I don't know much Dark Eldar fluff at all, all I can remember is old Eldar fluff that seemed to imply that the main Craftworlds decided that what they were doing was a bad idea (what with it bringing a god into existance and everything!) and that they needed to stop, but then cast some of their race out when they refused (who then assumedly became the Dark Eldar in the 3rd Edition rules)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

SisterHelios
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby SisterHelios at 17 Jul 2005, 00:18

Point taken

Corporal Harland

Postby Corporal Harland at 19 Jul 2005, 09:42

Didnt the eldar die to save the humans? :?: :?:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 19 Jul 2005, 10:06

No, the Eldar are completely selfish and wouldn't do anything like that. Eldar might fight alongside the Imperium and help them win, but only if it eventually helps the Eldar in some way. The same is true of why they attack Imperial outposts - if it will help the future of the Eldar race then they'll do it.

solidzaku

Postby solidzaku at 22 Dec 2005, 04:04

As far as saying that the fall was inevitable, oh yeah. If Chaos could get into the mind of the Emperor's son, who before hand was as righteous (in their minds) as they could get. If HE could become the lynchpin of greatest heresy there was, why would anyone think the selfish, drug addicted Eldar weren't susceptible?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 30 Dec 2005, 17:01

Because Humanity has a known weakness along the line of 'power hungry' that other more 'intelligent' and long lived races might not? Just because a Human fell foul of Chaos doesn't mean that another race would too :)

moregil

Postby moregil at 27 Oct 2006, 13:58

Hmmm was the fall of the Eldar a forgone conclusion or not - alas it was. As in the ELdar history they do state thet they had a tendancy to indulge in their greatest passions - was it chaos related hmmmmm no. It lead to the so called 'birth' of Slaanesh Lord of Pleasure. But even before this they were doomed - as a race that closets itself and indulges itself will come to an end cycle eventually.

Even with out the intervention of Chaos and the destruction of the core Eldar worlds, Eldar society would have eventually fractured as it stagnated and fall to younger races.

I think that the fracture will lead to a revival of the Eldar race as a whole, as craftworlds fall, something else will take their place. Like sorting out the chaff from the wheat. Idea of mine is that there are exodite worlds in a cluster which retain the vigour of the Eldar race and have better technology as they are more 'rigourous', emerging from a dark age of their own....the rest of the ELdar are a dying breed and they know it, but they protect these clusters by becoming 'Bait' or obvious enemies etc.....

So yep the Eldar are going to become extinct, but only those that the are viewed as Eldar, something else might emerge who knows?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 27 Oct 2006, 19:09

GW's releasing a new Dark Eldar codex at some point in the near future - hopefully they won't have a similar idea to you and try to make the DE the recovering part of the Eldar :D An Exodite revival would be interesting, though, and certainly characterful, as the hunters and the self-reliant are more likely to recover from a major set back.

I've not read the background, but I'm suprised the Farseers didn't predict it and stop it. Or maybe they did predict it and people didn't listen, which is why they have so much power now. Can't say I'm so hot on my Eldar knowledge :D

moregil

Postby moregil at 30 Oct 2006, 15:48

Well lets hope GW don't make the DE a revival of the Eldar - would be a wrong move as these are almost as bad as the Eldar in their own sadistic way. Again a closet society doomed to die out. Agree about the exodites as being more likely a revival of the Eldar race as a whole. Perhaps an ELdar purging might take place where in the Exodite world armies begim a systematic extermination of all other LEdar on the web way and craftworlds. Expunging the past one might say - now that would be an interesting concept......

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 30 Oct 2006, 18:57

They're a closet society doomed to die out because they are, IIRC, the branch of the Eldar race that refused to stop what it was doing at the Fall of the Eldar and carried on, essentially getting more depraved and less "experiencing sensations".

Exodites on a purge would be interesting, but I can't see it quite fitting in with their current background. Possibly doesn't help that the main image I have of them is that Exodite on an old-style converted Cold One :D

moregil

Postby moregil at 31 Oct 2006, 08:46

Agreed about the DE - Still think it would be a brill idea to have an exodite purge of teh Eldar against their own kind - perhaps led by Harlequins, I like the idea of eldar on a cold one - make brilliant idea for scout choice etc.....especially if the cold one was gene adapted to have chameleon ability (hehehehehehe) - think of all the 'unusual' choices that could be got, and the possible outcomes.....

Iron_Dragon

Postby Iron_Dragon at 10 Nov 2006, 01:06

if i may shed some light on the subject... the Fall was entirely preventable, and here's why. As the Eldar continued further into their hedonistic practices, the dissenting voices were either silenced or forced to flee, and as they saw that no one was listening to their warnings and plees for sanity, they began to give up hope, and when the last dissenter gave up, the Fall occurred. (can't remember where i read this, but makes the most sense...)

SisterHelios
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby SisterHelios at 10 Nov 2006, 02:06

Actually it does.

PreviousNext