IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Shokk attack gun returns!

Postby IBBoard at 03 Jan 2008, 16:17

It doesn't seem this has been mentioned before, although I do think I might have seen it before I read January's White Dwarf (I'm a bit slow getting round to reading them at times) but one of the great returns for the Orks is the old Shokk Attack Gun.

For those young 'uns too new to remember, the Orks had the Shokk Attack Gun in 2nd Edition 40K (pics in the old "Ork inventions" catalogue page here, or GW still have the parts in their collectors section).

The gun included a table for damage and was rather quirky and Orky, but in a fun and outrageous way. While that was great in 2nd Edition, 3rd Edition tried to streamline things and make the Orks a bit more serious and vicious so the Shokk Attack Gun got the chop.

Now, with the release of the Ork Codex for 4th Edition it seems that Games Workshop revived it! It looks bigger, chunkier (and Orkier) than before, and you don't appear to need Snotling stands to represent your ammo, but it's still the same gun and apparently still has an effects table like it used to :)

Now, if only it didn't cost £15 from Games Workshop! (cheaper if you read our GW on a budget article ;) )

*wonders whether it will be possible to buy the gun separately, what kind of model you could attach it to, and whether it would be cheaper*
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: Shokk attack gun returns!

Postby IBBoard at 19 Jan 2008, 13:20

There's a short article on making the Shokk Attack Gun in the month's White Dwarf.

What I thought was a bucket turns out to be the mouth of a feed tube that is hoovering up snotlings (I did wonder why the Mek appeared to be throwing a snotling out of a bucket!)

Rather than the old method of "open a warp hole nearby, make snotlings jump in, point gun at target and try top open target on top of them" it seems like the new gun maintains some form of warp hole inside it that the feed mechanism throws the snotlings in to. Much more sensible and workable, I guess :)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

thesteelclaw
Yoof
Yoof
Progress to next rank:

20%

Postby thesteelclaw at 26 Jan 2008, 09:30

I have just finished reading my copy of the new codex and in reference to the shock attack gun the result table is fun. I love the idea that on occasion the mek can be warped in front of what ever it was shooting at; in my head I have the scenario of shooting at a squad of terminators second and then being up-close and personal the next.
A welcome addition to an orky army, the models nice too.
:clap:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 26 Jan 2008, 19:43

*digs out copy of 2nd edition Codex*

Looks like the old gun didn't have a similar result. If it misfired (good old scatter and artillery dice) then it could smoke and explode, killing the Mek, but not warping him to the target.

Somehow I don't suppose they have quite so many results tables now. 2nd Edition had five (dreadnoughts and terminators, other foot troops, vehicles, support weapons, and bunkers).

Some of the vehicle ones were just great, though. Things like snotlings in the steering, madly pulling at levers and jamming things, in the ammo feed, potentially causing the weapon to explode, or wrapping itself around the driver's head, causing the vehicle to crash :D

Ahhhhh, the many joys of crazy Ork-ish contraptions!