IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

W40K monester winners 2007

Postby IBBoard at 07 Oct 2007, 11:02

This is a category where GW seem to have messed up either the icons or the pictures. I'm assuming the pictures are correct and that it's just the thumbnails that are backwards.

The carnifex is also the Slayer Sword winner and does look great. Despite being fleshy tones, which seems odd for a Nid, it looks very well blended and almost 'natural' with its colouring. The purple and red tints also add some nice definition and focus while not being too excessive. I think it's the gun that really makes the model, though. Not only does it stand out and look menacing amongst all of those scything limbs, it also looks suitably alien and gribbly. The highlighting and glossy varnish on the tubing look really organic and show off the symbiosis better than most paint schemes I've seen.

I'm assuming the Slaaneshi daemon prince is the Silver winner, and despite the very limited palette then it has a good amount of contrast. It doesn't seem to have gone for spot colours, but the difference between the purple armour and the purple skin is still enough that the face stands out as a focus point and doesn't get lost in the model. Interestingly it seems to have both two sets of arms and two sets of wings. I'm just wondering which dragon body it used for the tail.

I'm not so impressed with the Bronze winner - the Broadside battle suit. The natural colouring works well and isn't overstated (unlike some shades of beige that you see Tau in) but I think the damage is a bit too much and makes it lose some of the quality by being too busy. It's always a difficult balance, and I can see what the artist was going for, but as a "looking at the model as a model" then no matter how well the damage is painted then it muddies the overall effect.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)