IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

W40K vehicle winners 2007

Postby IBBoard at 07 Oct 2007, 10:52

Being bigger, the vehicles always have the potential for a bit of well executed detail. The Ultramarines Venerable Dreadnought that won gold seems to have taken advantage of that, although I think it might have come out a bit too bright IMO. As with the squad of Guardsmen then it has done the point colour thing of using a contrasting colour very well by using the feet and head. The banner is also very well painted, and I like the Nid head wrapped around the power fist as a trophy. It must have taken ages to paint all of the detail, though, especially things like the eagle in the right-hand greave. They've also managed to pull off a subtle little glow around the lights, which I've seen more in recent years.

The Traitor Baneblade that took Silver is nicely done and simple with clean lines. The battle damage looks realistic, as does the rust. The heretical symbols look like they've been painted on by a heretic of the right scale as well. I like that the top arrows also seem to point to the gunner as a "shoot heretic here" marking!

The Bronze tank is an interesting conversion. At first I just thought it was a slightly strange Leman Russ. Looking at it again it seems to be bigger - a tank (possibly with the Baneblade turret) based on a reversed Land Raider hull. Again, the mud splatter and wear looks nicely realistic - much better than I can do - although it must have been through some deep mud to get it that high up the hull! I'm not quite sure why there's a low band of black around the bottom of the turret, though. As an Ork player, I'm glad I'm not facing that across the battle field!
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)