IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

W40K single miniatures winner 2007

Postby IBBoard at 07 Oct 2007, 10:27

Following on from the "Golden Demon winners on the website" thread, I'll post some comments on the single models first and work my way down.

The Gold winner has a well applied colour scheme and some good rust effects etc, as well as an interesting conversion (I wonder how much is scratch built?) but I'm not so keen on the head. I don't know if it is the purple, the flat third eye or the fact that it is so low, but it looks a bit strange and out of place IMO. The base and the strange torch in his body are definitely interesting, though, with their bright blue and glowing green schemes.

The Silver winner is a similar story IMO. It's a good model (a 40K scale Eisenhorn), the sword is well done and the purple remains bright and strong but his head is a bit too pale and pallid in that photo. With all of the other colour around it (including the staff on his back) then his head gets lost, which is a bad thing to do in a model.

To me the Bronze winner is the best of the three. It's a great conversion with good dynamism and it has a good, gritty, real-world edge to it. The horse is very well done and the colouring leaves the rider as the main feature. I like the fact that he has all of that kit on him yet manages to not look cluttered or overloaded. The detail around him also nicely adds a WW1 trenches look to the whole scene.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)