IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Ravenor Returned (possible spoilers)

Postby IBBoard at 29 Jul 2007, 09:51

I've just finished reading Ravenor Returned, having already read the Eisenhorn trilogy and Ravenor.

While the 1st person perspective for Eisenhorn and Ravenor is a bit strange at times and took a bit of getting used to at first, it Dan Abnett definitely works it well. Also, before people get worried about it being badly written, it's only used for those sections where the Inquisitor is involved in the action, so it makes sense.

The imagery of the various Administratum buildings is great, and I can see how it fits with a combination of technology and machine worship.

The end was certainly interesting, and I'm not wondering if there's a chance of a follow-up to make a trilogy, like Eisenhorn had.

I've got an idea as to how Slyte fitted in to everything, and what happened to Zael, but I think Abnett pointed towards it rather than clarifying all of it (unless I just read it and missed a bit).
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Ravenor Returned (possible spoilers)

Postby IBBoard at 04 Aug 2007, 13:23

Just a quick update - obviously I haven't been paying attention! I went in to Waterstones today and they had a hardback copy of Ravenor Rogue.

I've not bought it yet, but at least I know it's there :) The title sounds like it might head the way of the Eisenhorn trilogy, with Ravenor leaving the Inquisition on his own little mission.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Severian
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

4%

Re: Ravenor Returned (possible spoilers)

Postby Severian at 25 Sep 2007, 08:04

Really Liked this book as well as the Eisenhorn Trilogy. The genre and more specifically the Inquisitor background makes for varied and interesting characters as well as some really over the top action. Due to the brief of the inquisition a wide variety of characters pop up - chaos marines, assassins, arbites, daemon hosts etc. These books were a good read 8)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 26 Sep 2007, 06:21

Yes, even Arbites. The older Inquisition Wars (Jaq Draco) novels from Ian Watson have more of the Arbites in, though.

Eisenhorn and Ravenor seem to be more secretive than Draco was. The newer Inquisitors do encounter Arbites and other government personnel, but it's never (that I can think of) because they're being investigated and hunted as criminals.

Severian
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

4%

Re: Ravenor Returned (possible spoilers)

Postby Severian at 26 Sep 2007, 06:32

I liked the inquisition wars as it forever defined the way I would view a Calidus assassin - go MeLindi! :clap:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 26 Sep 2007, 21:03

I wasn't quite so sure about Meh'Lindi. In a way then she was a definitive assassin, but at the same time then I wouldn't have expected the tattoos.

I guess if they were from before her initiation (while she was still on her homeworld) then it's a bit more reasonable.