IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Getting hold of Ian Watson's Inquisition Wars novels

Postby IBBoard at 28 Jun 2007, 18:48

I just went to a really great place yesterday. It's just over the border from Herefordshire, and it's called Hay-on-Wye. It's renowned for its bookshops, and boy does it have a lot! If you've ever been in one of those shops that's stacked solid, floor to ceiling, and somehow seems to be three times the size you thought it could be from the outside, then imagine a town with dozens of similar shops ;)

Anyway, I've already got an early edition of Ian Watson's Inquisitor (later republished as Draco), and yesterday I picked up Chaos Child (for about £2.50). Unfortunately I can't find Harlequin for anything less than about £15, with most being £30+!

On the plus side, I did also get hold of three of the Gotrek novels (Trollslayer, Skavenslayer and Orcslayer - yes Orc isn't a William King one, but it's still Gotrek) and got change from a tenner for all of it, including Chaos Child :) I now also have a full shelf of Warhammer novels in my own house :D
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Getting hold of Ian Watson's Inquisition Wars novels

Postby IBBoard at 05 Jul 2007, 18:29

w00t! I got Harlequin for £2.39 plus postage on eBay :) I always like it when I find something on eBay and no-one else seems to.

The bidding, as it went:

Code: Select all
   hatch357       £2.19    04-Jul-07 20:12:35 BST    
   hatch357       £1.78    04-Jul-07 20:12:11 BST    
   dark-mallrat       £1.01    04-Jul-07 11:39:17 BST    
   robbarratt       £1.00    04-Jul-07 18:25:12 BST    
   robbarratt       £0.50    04-Jul-07 18:25:01 BST    
   robbarratt       £0.20    01-Jul-07 17:59:39 BST

Seemingly people didn't know how eBay worked. I just bid once after Dark Mallrat and that was it - lot won :)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Stormwalker
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

18%

Re: Getting hold of Ian Watson's Inquisition Wars novels

Postby Stormwalker at 07 Jul 2007, 11:53

I've not read the Inquisition Wars novels as yet, but I loved every second of Dan Abnett's Eisenhorn trilogy (Omnibus Edition)... First got it out of the Library (Yes they still exist, even in Wales lol) a few years ago, and bought it in a little place in Newport called Merlin's Bookstore in paperback for £12:99 reduced in a clearance sale! Bargain! :D

IBBoard, if you're happy to have book reviews for W40K on the forums, I'd be happy to pen a few from what I've read so far :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 07 Jul 2007, 16:32

Yeah, go for it :) If you want then I can put a little section up on the main HWT site. A few snippets for the Encyclopedia wouldn't go amiss either (I'm currently in the process of adding Amazon links to the source book pages, but it looks odd without the book review/description)

As for the Ian Watson novels, they're much older and not necessarily so strict to the modern fluff, but they were the original fluff creators. Given the choice between Watson and many of the newer authors, I'd go for Watson every time.

TBH Abnett is one of the few new authors I like (I've read the Eisenhorn trilogy, but not the Ravenor Returns that TGSC bought me for my last birthday). Quite why they ever let Gav Thorpe become an author from being an editor I don't know, but I didn't like the story of his that I read.

Stormwalker
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

18%

Re: Getting hold of Ian Watson's Inquisition Wars novels

Postby Stormwalker at 07 Jul 2007, 16:47

Ravenor is... You know what, Ravenor is a double-edged sword for me... He wasn't really a point of interest in the Eisenhorn trilogy (He was Eisenhorn's apprentice), as he didn't feature too much really... So in that sense I don't see why they furthered his story with two books... It's not even as if they tied into Eisenhorn's exploits in any way other than the odd mention of the link between the two (I don't remember if there was a chapter/paragraph when Eisenhorn was present, but I don't think so...)

But, to get back on topic, yeah I'd be happy to throw out some reviews. I'll have them to you when I'm done.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 07 Jul 2007, 17:54

Well, not trying to reveal too much of the plot, but I thought Eisenhorn had vanished by the end of the trilogy. AFAIK the Ravenor novels are based after that, so I didn't really expect him to turn up.

Yes, he wasn't a main protagonist, but he was another powerful Inquisitor with interesting ideas (like working with the Eldar) so it kinda makes sense to follow his story line after effectively ending the Eisenhorn one.

As for the reviews (and the actual original topic!) thanks, I'll put them up as soon as I can after I receive them :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 09 Jul 2007, 18:19

It cost me £3.77 in the end, including postage. Not bad for a book that's not available on Amazon for less than £15 :)

[edit] And finally, after the postal strike, it has arrived today :) I now have old-school covers of Inquisitor (now Draco) and Harlequin and a new cover Chaos Child.