Red Glare

Mirridi

RE: Red Glare

Postby Mirridi at 09 May 2003, 20:36

Well, this isn't directly related to WH, but I thought you guys may appreciate it.
+++
Part 1.
+++
Brilliant blue light shone through the room, illuminating in stark detail the many crates, containers, and shelves and crags in the one stone wall. Along the side of the largest container stood a line of youngsters, all dressed in grey-black two peice uniforms, with links and mesh over specific parts of the jacket, with a blocky, black plastic pistol in a waist holster. Among them was Jonus, an exceptionally nervous youngster, unready, and unsure of what was in store for him, and the nine others standing there.

A door opened in the crate behind them, and a man with colonel's pips on his collar stepped out. He carried himself with the air of authority, and wore a similar uniform to the youngsters, but was dressed in dull red.

"In thirty seconds," he paused, and let the line settle as they realised where he was, "this room will be free of all gravity," he paced up and down the line," After eleven minutes, the gravity will be turned up to earth-norm. For those hard of mathamatics, that's three times what you're used to on this god-forsaken rock! When your jacket registers two hits you are OUT, and will return to this container! MOVE!"
The line scattered, the ten disappearing down the labyrinthine tunnels between the containers. Jonus fumbled his gun, and his back burned as he felt the colonel's eyes pierce him, and as he stood up he sensed nine other pairs of eyes on him, pure undiluted scorn washing over him. His heart rose as the thirty seconds finished, as in nul-G his infamous clumsiness abated, and he became graceful. He allowed a smile to cross his face as he spotted one of his rivals, Stryke with his back turned...
+++
If you like it, you get more!

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 14 May 2003, 21:05

cool :) I like :)
it may not be directly related to 40K, but it could very easily be

Note to others: this is what we need, members who post good stuff :) :D
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Mirridi

Postby Mirridi at 17 May 2003, 18:54

Yeah...It could be an Imperial guard training facility...
Do you want some more?
I'll write it after I get names for two more of the recruits...

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 19 May 2003, 18:28

We could always create a page for your stories here at HWT if you want :) display them for the world to read :)
But I always want to know where writers get names from for characters. I can never think of anything, even with the simple little bits of fluff I write, like my Ork army
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Mirridi

Postby Mirridi at 12 Jun 2003, 19:45

Sorry for the long pause...
My names, I build up a store of them, over the years, and re-use them.
I see a name, I write it down. e.g. 'Leasha'

I use people's pseudos. e.g. 'Stryke'

I use amalgams. e.g. Mirava(world name) and Mrd'ini(race name) =Mirridi

It's really frustrating.

Some more Red Glare coming up...
+++
Jonus offloaded a shot into Stryke's unprotected back, and watched in delight as the wave of feedback coursed through the mesh, knocking him forwards out of his perch. He afforded himself a few moments of celebration, but instantly regretted it as three shots from Kismet missed him by millimetres. He pinwheeled and blasted back, but she was gone, hidden by the steel. Propelling himself slowly, he took to the roof, scanning down passageways to try and spot Taxin, or one of the others.

Within seconds he found someone. Amber, exhausted and with one hit showing on her jacket was in a cul-de-sac, hiding from Kismet and Scatta, who were prowling like predators close by. He landed with prescision in her hiding place, and finished her off. His heart pounded as he grabbed her pistol. His lungs fought for breath, as one thought rose to the forefront of his mind : 'Here they come'.

The soft, quiet sound of the predatory pair on their hunt got closer, but when they found the little hidey hole, they found it empty. Clinging, spider-like to one of the walls, Jonus looked down at them, pitying their ineptitude. In one movement, as fluid as water, Jonus leapt, firing bursts from each weapon, delighting in the artificial kickback of each shot. Kismet ran for freedom, and got off lightly, with only one hit, but Scatta was not so lucky, recieving four, so he had to start the long, slow trudge back to the container. Jonus dropped to floor true as a speaker crackled on.

"The kills for the null-G round are as follows. Two eliminations for Stryke: Diego and Jed. Two eliminations also for Jonus: Smber and Scatta. The next round, at earth-norm G, will continue to the last cadet standing. BE-GIN!"