Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Website outage and data loss

Postby IBBoard at 19 Dec 2006, 08:26

Hi all,

Unfortunately the server went down last night due to a hardware failure. The guys are A Small Orange were great, kept us customers informed and it turned out to be the hard disks that failed. They've restored the latest backup they had, but we've still lost a few posts. Luckily we're not too busy to have lost much!

Sorry to etherealsword (and anyone else who may have signed up in the past couple of days), but we've lost your account. Feel free to sign up again.
Last edited by IBBoard on 18 Jan 2007, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

RE: Website outage and data loss

Postby MadMaffMan at 19 Dec 2006, 14:58

I thought i'd had too much wine when i saw that holder screen last night, thought i'd started clicking on strange website links again. :wink:

Glad they restored the site so quickly, i have had sites that i've visited in the past that have been off for days if not weeks. :roll:
"No Pity! No Remorse! No Beer!"

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 19 Dec 2006, 19:01

No, ASO a great like that. There was an outage on the server within about a month of when it was first started (it's normal run-in period when hardware's most likely to break) but all I had on there at the time was my hwtskins.co.uk domain and they were quick solving that as well. The only delay then was that they actually needed an entire new part, so they were waiting on their supplier for a few hours.

All should be back to normal soon, once I get the weekend's changes put back. Then I just need to work on some form of incremental backup system of the database that emails the changes to me! :D

[edit] The new files are on Skins@HWT now. All I need to do is get the Christmassy logo back here an on the main HWT site, and then work out if I made any other changes over the weekend :)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 21 Dec 2006, 20:45

Just seen the Christmassy logo....i've been using the HWT Winter Assault skin. :oops:

Very nice, looks like a strangely shaped Christmas Pudding. :shock:
"No Pity! No Remorse! No Beer!"

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 22 Dec 2006, 10:23

Yeah, I'm wondering what I can do with the WA skin and the standard DoW skin :) Maybe a santa hat on the FC and the Dreadie? :D

Still need to work on that incremental backup feature so that we don't lose data like that again! The idea is to get it to mail me changes to my GMail account so I can work from a given point and just run the 'patches' to get it back to where it should be (which should be closer than a potentially buggy server-side backup that hasn't been run quite as often as it should be)