Do you use the Encyclopedia and is it useful?

The what?
100%
Yes, it's great, keep up the good work
No votes
Yes, but it needs more stuff in it
No votes
Nope, but I'm sure it would be if I did
No votes
No, and it needs more stuff in it
No votes

Total votes : 2

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 11 Oct 2006, 16:33

As an attempt to get an idea of how much usage our members get out of the Encyclopedia, please take the time to answer the poll. It's helpful, cos this way we know if people actually make use of it. It may also generate a demand for specific topics top be updated - so if you answer with either of the 'more stuff' options, please suggest what this stuff should be in this thread - or go and define it yourself :wink:
Ego Ordinis Mallei Inquisitor, per auctoritate Digamma, Decimatio, Duodecies, ultimum exterminatum planetae [insert here] cum extrema celeritate impero.

(roughly; 'I, Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, hereby authorise Death, Destruction, Doom, the total extermination of the planet "blah" with the most extreme and imperative speed.')

In a galaxy of a million worlds, what does the death of one matter?

Simguinus, Chief Historitor

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/catalog/p ... e_id=66353

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Do you use the Encyclopedia and is it useful?

Postby IBBoard at 11 Oct 2006, 18:51

I won't bother voting, as it'll throw the poll slightly, but I don't actually use it :D Well, I kinda do because I look at whatever you've submitted and occasionally go "ahhhh, didn't know that", but I know most of my fluff-knowledge needs :)

At some point I'll get round to re-skimming the Eisenhorn novels and locating the missing details on the definitions I'd jotted down...
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 12 Oct 2006, 16:16

Here's hoping someone bothers themselves to vote - not much point me voting, neither :)
Ego Ordinis Mallei Inquisitor, per auctoritate Digamma, Decimatio, Duodecies, ultimum exterminatum planetae [insert here] cum extrema celeritate impero.

(roughly; 'I, Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, hereby authorise Death, Destruction, Doom, the total extermination of the planet "blah" with the most extreme and imperative speed.')

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 23 Dec 2006, 21:34

God....this is depressing. Not a single vote. Really makes me question all the hard work qw've put into that.... :cry:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 23 Dec 2006, 22:34

The forums are always really quiet anyway (I'm about to delete 90 of our members for not visiting in the past two months, and another 20+ of the remaining members are probably only there because they've registered in the past two months!). I can give you some stats on actual Encyclopedia usage if you want.

Are you on any other forums? Because I can whip up a quick "HWT Chief Historitor" user bar for you to spread the word a bit more if you want :)

I've actually got some more Eisenhorn definitions that I was going to add (finally got round to digging the additional details and dates out of the book, because I wrote them from memory on a train journey to work a while ago). Once I've got a few more screenshots added to Skins@HWT I'll get them added to the database :)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 25 Dec 2006, 14:19

Yeah, I can do things like stick the userbar in my lj and Pardus profiles. So, please, go ahead.... :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 25 Dec 2006, 20:13

Okay, we've now got a Chief Historitor bar for you :) Just save it and host it somewhere like ImageShack, then link it to either the main site or the Encyclopedia and we'll hopefully get a few more people through.

[img]http://www.hiveworldterra.co.uk/images/UserBars/HWTHiveHistoritor.png[/img]

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

Postby Simguinus at 27 Dec 2006, 23:02

Ha HA! :o After about 10 attempts, I finally amanged to fiddle the code to getting a link from my Pardus profile....I am the l33t haxxor! :D

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 27 Dec 2006, 23:17

Where do i find this Encyclopedia, i had a look on the main page and links page and didn't see a link to it anywhere. Mind you i can't see the wood for the trees some times. :roll:

I did try that link in your sig but that just kept timing out. :cry:
"No Pity! No Remorse! No Beer!"

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 28 Dec 2006, 10:50

The Encyclopedia's on the main HWT site - http://www.hiveworldterra.co.uk/Encyclopedia/ - its original design was as a full encyclopedia of Games Workshop stuff, but I've since been seeing it more as an encyclopedia of fluff and fanfiction reference. It's only a minor change, but I try to focus more on the story of characters and descriptions of locations so that people can look them up when they read about them, or when they want to write about them, instead of just giving boring descriptions of weapons and things.

Simguinus' sig link is an online store that I checked once. Does seem to be dead at the moment, though.

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 29 Dec 2006, 01:07

Just checked the Encyclopedia, very nice work guys. It must be a nightmare keeping up with the GW cannon facts, they seem to alter things every so often, it must play merry hell updating things.

Keep up the good work. :D

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 29 Dec 2006, 09:59

I think getting up to date with everything in the first place would be a bigger task :D ~270 definitions (including a few duplicates so people can find people under things like "Jaq Draco", "Draco, Inquisitor Jaq", and "Inquisitor Draco") is just a tiny drop in the ocean!

But that reminds me, I've got to update the novel list with the additional new releases!

Feel free to contribute ;)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 29 Dec 2006, 16:50

Contribute how? What sort of things are you looking for?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 29 Dec 2006, 19:50

Just contribute definitions for new words - descriptions of locations/language/events/characters taken from the books :) We've got a suggestion form that you can submit to and either myself or Simguinus can approve it to make it public, or if you want to be more prolific then I could make you an Assistant Historitor or something.

All I normally do is read a novel, jot down some main points about the character or location and then re-write it as a coherent definition. As long as it's researched information and not direct copying from a GW source (e.g. copying the GW description of Tzeentch if you added a definition for the Chaos gods) then it's an encyclopedic definition.

The other idea I had recently was an extension of the Encyclopedia into articles. I've not put a definition in for Glossia yet, but when I do it might be interesting to extend things like that into an article about creating Glossia code and leave the definition as a definition with a couple of examples.

Unfortunately, as per usual, I need more helpers and I don't know enough people who I trust who have the free time to spare :D