Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

First extra new skin!

Postby IBBoard at 08 Sep 2005, 19:42

Hi all,

Following the update to the main Skins@HWT website a week or so ago, I have now update the Forums with the initial workings of one of those new skins - the Winter Assault skin. Registered users can now update their skin from their profile. I will also hopefully, at some point, include a mod that means you can update your skin from a list on any page (or possibly just the index page) of the forum :)

Replacement images (changing the logos to be "Forums@HWT" as the first thing!) should hopefully be along soon :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

RE: First extra new skin!

Postby MadMaffMan at 08 Sep 2005, 20:04

Great job with the new Winter Assault forum skin, cool......
Bad joke i know. :oops:
"No Pity! No Remorse! No Beer!"

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 08 Sep 2005, 20:45

Oh dear! yes, very bad.

So far there are two things I know I need to correct with the skin (other than getting new images!):

1) The border on the right of profiles in posts (it's actually a background image so that it definately stretches all of the way down)
2) The border on the "who's online" box - it's hard-coded CSS that needs replacing.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 09 Sep 2005, 14:21

Update: all (read: both) colour issues should now be fixed :) all I need to do now is make the new images and logo :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 15 Sep 2005, 23:05

Thanks to the great "Extreme Styles" MOD that I've got installed, I've just managed to clone the site skin to create a testing version. It turns out it was easy to clone the skin, but the MOD also adds the extra feature that if I don't define a template in the new skin then it defaults back to the original template :) nifty!

Anyway, there is currently a "test" version of the WA skin which is slowly having it's images replaced. Feel free to use it and comment on it, but don't expect everything to match in the way of buttons etc!

Kamarath

Postby Kamarath at 16 Sep 2005, 21:20

Very nice. Very clean. I like.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 17 Sep 2005, 09:32

Yeah, I've done the forum/topic status images, just got to work out what I can do for the buttons now :\

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 16 Oct 2005, 17:24

OK, I've done some initial posting buttons and added them. I'm not sure how happy I am with them at the moment, or whether I'll change them. I've also changed the logo for this skin so it uses the "Forums@HWT" logo :)

Comments?

[edit] ok, I've added a slight fade to most of the headers now. The shadows on the buttons left the headers looking a little flat, but I think I've managed to get a nice subtle fade that works well :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 17 Oct 2005, 15:30

I don't know if anyone checked since last night, but I've now added some more changes :) All post/PM buttons should now be done, the normal "submit" buttons now look a little better and less flat. Next challenge is the quote/profile/pm/edit/email/MSN etc buttons in the topics :) Not quite sure what to do for them though :\

[edit] Just checked in IE and guess what? it can't render the stupid thing properly. I'll add an extension to all of the background later - IE can make do with an approximation of a fade that isn't quite correct if it can't do it properly!

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 15 Jan 2006, 18:55

I know it probably involves a whole new set of buttons but it might be nice to colour the filled in sections for the "new posts have been made icon" blue rather than tan.

Also, there are a few white pixels round the new topic, reply and the moderator action buttons

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 15 Jan 2006, 19:52

Yeah, I know about the mod icons - I'm normally the only one who sees them, so I've not got round to them yet :D

As for the "new topic" and "reply" buttons - are you using the normal WA skin or the "test" one? The test one has custom buttons, and I can't see any white around them. I've had the skin on test for long enough, though, so I think I might swap them over now :)

Oh, and which "new posts" icon is tan? The WA one (or the 'test' one at least) is a pale blue on the topic list and the front page when a new post has been made :)

[edit] Yeah, you were the only one using the old version with the old buttons. I've changed you over now and renamed the two skins so that the latest WA one isn't 'test' any more :) At some point, when I know it's not needed for definate, I'll remove the old WA skin.

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 16 Jan 2006, 12:44

yus, all sorted now. I'd advise making the coloured in icon a bit darker though, there's not a massive difference between the colours.

EDIT: my screen was a funny angle, its not as bad as I thought. Maybe just a little darker.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 16 Jan 2006, 13:29

Yeah, I did wonder whether it was dark enough. I'll tweak it shortly :)

I'm quite pleased with the "Watched Topics" icon as well :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 26 Jan 2006, 16:19

In case you missed it, I fixed the icon and I also changed the : ) smilie while I was at it (he always seemed like a half-big grin smilie)

Also, I've fixed one or two more CSS issues, such as the previously unclickable "quote" button when replying to PMs.

If anyone finds any other issues, please post them :)