Data sharing to Linux (including Firefox and Thunderbird!)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Data sharing to Linux (including Firefox and Thunderbird!)

Postby IBBoard at 10 Sep 2006, 21:05

I don't know how many people here will use it, but I've just got my main machine set up with a WinXP/Fedora Core 5 'dual-boot' and sharing various bits of data across the two OSes.

I've had FC5 installed for a while, but not been using it because my Wacom tablet wasn't behaving correctly. Some of the settings possibly still need a minor tweak, but the mouse is now acting as a mouse and is no longer refusing to go within an inch of a randomly chosen screen edge, so it's now usable.

Having moved all of my Firefox and Thunderbird profiles/inboxes from my C: to my D: in Windows (I have a small C: for things that have to be on there, D: for data and most apps and G: for games) I've now got Linux set up to view those drives and Firefox and Thunderbird are set up to share the profiles :) That means that whichever OS I'm in - Windows or Linux - I get the same set of bookmarks, the same auto-logins on websites, and one central collection of emails (instead of Thunderbird in one and Webmail in another).

I've also got all of my MP3s imported into Rhythmbox (Gnome's audio player). All I need to do is work out how to get it to read the small collection of iTunes encoded M4A files, or how to convert them to normal MP3s and I've then got my MP3s in both locations (although unfortunately not my ratings as well, unless someone has a plugin for that!)

Redhat Linux/Fedora Core has certainly improved a lot since I first used RH7.3 :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Data sharing to Linux (including Firefox and Thunderbird!)

Postby IBBoard at 14 Oct 2006, 22:50

It's kinda related in the whole "get my Linux install more usable", so I'll add it in here:

Wohooooo! I've now got the official ATi drivers installed for my graphics card! :)

It took me most of the afternoon and evening (interspersed with some Oblivion playage when the mission was too scary for Abi) but I finally got it to stop using the less efficient open-source drivers :) That means I now have full 3D graphics acceleration in Linux, and I can play the OpenGL games like LinCity, SuperTuxKart and PPRacer. Some other things should work better too (like potentially supporting the fancy Mac-esque desktop features of AIGLX and running gDesklets better).
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Data sharing to Linux (including Firefox and Thunderbird!)

Postby IBBoard at 15 Oct 2006, 15:24

Bwahahaha! I now have Wine installed and configured to match my Windows disks, and I've installed NTFS-3G so I can do read/write access to my NTFS partition (Linux can do r/w normally, but can't create new files without other drivers).

Now to patch DoW to 1.5 and see if I can get it running in Linux :)

[edit] Wohoo! DoW 1.5 (well, WA) works under Linux with normal Wine :) There's a few minor issues (fonts are clipped at the top, audio is a bit burbley, and it might be playing a little speeded up) but that's just an initial "will it work...yes it works" attempt!

For those who are interested, I can post details, and I've also got a screenshot.