Translating WarFoundry

Blackhawk
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

22%

Re: Translating WarFoundry

Postby Blackhawk at 15 Apr 2010, 07:24

IBBoard wrote:but in the case of labels next to single line boxes then it becomes more difficult to make enough space for all translations but I'll do my best.

Just use 150% width of what you'd need for the English string. :P

furrie
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

60%

Postby furrie at 15 Apr 2010, 13:06

Thats a bit of a dirty solution. There are probelby better solutions. Like turning on autosize on the labels. But I see how that could give problems, so after setting the text to the single line labels, you should adjust the width of the multi line labels so they will be in the buandries of the screen. Of course the multi line labels should be moved according to the size of the single line label it belongs to. So in the about window, after the text developers is loaded, check the withd of that label, then place the multi line label which now has the line IBBoard (http://ibboard.co.uk/dvelog/) the number of pixels the developer line is wider to the right and then scale the field so it fits.
warhammer fantasy/40K player
the WarFoundry datafile group

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 16 Apr 2010, 18:55

The problem with auto-size is that you're still absolutely positioning things, so as I understand it then you could end up with overlap instead of just truncated text. I could do something with automatic repositioning of widgets, but that sounds like it is just asking for a horrible mess.

Perhaps there is a solution online, if I look. I've never seen anything, but I've never really looked. AFAIK it is just a general limitation of WinForms and most people don't encounter it because they don't translate.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 21 Apr 2010, 21:48

Noted a problem with translations...
To load the file I need to have some kind of strange code för å ä and ö (at least that's what the file came with in the install). So far so good. However the HTML output will then use these characters instead of the rendered characters.
Would it load the XML with HTML encoded "scandinavians"?

BTW, tried to commit an updated translation file. Didn't work, something about having to refer to ticket in message?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 23 Apr 2010, 18:49

To load the file I need to have some kind of strange code för å ä and ö (at least that's what the file came with in the install). So far so good. However the HTML output will then use these characters instead of the rendered characters.
Would it load the XML with HTML encoded "scandinavians"?

You should be able to use UTF-8 characters, just like you do on the forum. I'll check whether they're broken on the HTML export, though. Maybe I didn't set the char-set for the export. You shouldn't need to use "&#...;" for any of your characters, though, and I'd generally discourage it.

BTW, tried to commit an updated translation file. Didn't work, something about having to refer to ticket in message?

That'll be our pre-commit hook. If you're adding a translation then starting the commit message with "Re #203: Translate WarFoundry" should tell it that you've worked on ticket 203, which will add record your change on the ticket. It is a minor annoyance when you're not used to it, but it is meant to keep commits tagged up against tickets.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 23 Apr 2010, 20:10

Bah! Like I'd bother to read documentation! ;-)
I'll fix some stuff I found again and try to use the subversion. I already attached one file to the ticket but I now saw there were additional entries.
Is there some easy way to see the changes?

In case you are wondering é and ö are examples of what I have to use.

If I try and open the xml file in Firefox it throws errors on any special character for the xml (if I type them "normally" for me, and WF won't load it. If I use a "fixed" version it works.

It might be something with Windows though. I run Vista in English but have it regionally coded for Finland so I guess it could be confused. Can't even use some texteditors. There's a huge difference if I try and make the file in Notepad or Wordpad, and OO Write is right out. Won't work at all for me.

Ha! Now it worked.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 24 Apr 2010, 12:40

What kind of errors in Firefox? I can open the Swedish translation okay in Chromium and Firefox. Chromium just shows the text, not the tags, and Firefox shows a warning that there isn't any style info and then shows the source code.

The next version should have fixed the HTML export, though, or you can get the latest version from source control.

As for viewing changes, the revision log shows you when it changed and you can look at a file in a changeset to see what changed at each version. If you've missed several changes then just use the comparison mode of the revision log.

Blackhawk
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

22%

Postby Blackhawk at 27 Apr 2010, 07:17

Try Notepad++ for editing: http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/

It's awesome and it can look into encoding issues.

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 08 May 2010, 22:13

Notepad+++ seems the way to go. Thanks for that suggestion. No other editor has been liking the UTF-8 and å ä & ö. Now it seems I can read these properly and it might even work in the program. Of course do they work for anyone else?

I'll be having a Finnish translation soon hopefully.
Finnish is a bit tricky, as it has a different structure to e.g. Swedish and English. In most cases it is possible to make a word-for-word translation, not so in Finnish as it generally lacks prepositions!
Also I don't use it too much regularly.
If you had any idea of how difficult "{0} ({1} at {2}pts each" is to translate... *sigh*

I've noticed a couple of labels not translatable. In the New Equipment window, "(xpts each)" cannot be translated. In the unit form there's the unit's cost which also is an untranslatable " (x pts)". Also in the statline we have "Name", which cannot be changed.
Edit:
the Replace equipment window also seems to be missing translation labels, even English ones.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 10 May 2010, 18:42

How did I miss all of these translations? :D I thought I'd caught them all and made translation strings for everywhere. If you find any then please just drop a ticket in for them (probably a "Trivial" targeted at v0.1 at the moment).

Good luck with the Finnish, if it is that different. I hoped that "{0} ({1} at {2}pts each" was sufficiently flexible to work in most languages, but put a ticket in with your problems if it turns out Finnish can't work with those variables.

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 31 May 2010, 18:13

Ran into a "Confirm Remove" dialog that is not translateable. When editing equipment to zero and it wants to remove it.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 31 May 2010, 18:44

At least you caught it just before I was about to package it. If you find any more, submit a ticket. It is now in as ticket 283 and should be fixed in the next release (beta 9!)

Blackhawk
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

22%

Postby Blackhawk at 10 Jun 2010, 18:18

Hey,

was busy and not much around for a while. Is an updated translation needed?

Cheers
Matthias

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 11 Jun 2010, 18:19

There probably are some updates needed - the revision log shows one change since v0.1b9 and two more since v0.1b8 :)

Blackhawk
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

22%

Postby Blackhawk at 14 Jun 2010, 10:00

Attached an updated version to the ticket.

PreviousNext