SVN access?

darpified
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

16%

SVN access?

Postby darpified at 24 May 2009, 01:37

Hi, I'm a (former) Warmachine/Hordes player, and moving to Confrontation 3.5 and CaoR looking
for a quality army creation application.

The existing confrontation army creation application is not to my liking, and not currently open sourced, so no
options to improve on it.

I went looking around for alternatives and found WarFoundry, I'm certainly eager to help
it along but I am unable to access the svn repositories at the moment.

all attempts to grab the repo's with the provided links from
Code: Select all
http://dev.ibboard.co.uk/projects/warfoundry/wiki/Development/GettingStarted#Gettingthesourcecode

error out with
svn: No repository found in 'svn://dev.ibboard.co.uk/projects/warfoundry/IBBoard.ArmyBuilder.API'

So yeah, I also tried adding in various flavors of trunk and Trunk and whatnot.

Am I doing something wrong, or is it a server issue?

Thanks for your assistance,
Robert Peters
Last edited by IBBoard on 31 Jan 2010, 15:31, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Further changes to attempt to prevent trademark litigation

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: SVN access?

Postby IBBoard at 25 May 2009, 08:21

Thanks for taking an interest in WarFoundry. I'll upgrade your Trac account to the Developer group shortly and email you details of your SVN access.

As for the error, it looks like you're not using the right URLs. Each of the links in the lists on that page is a link to the project's root directory in Subversion, which isn't in the same path as the Trac install. The WarFoundry repos are in svn://svn.ibboard.co.uk/WarFoundry/[project name]/trunk and the IBBoard utilities are in svn://svn.ibboard.co.uk/IBBoard/[project name]/trunk. With Subversion it doesn't matter what path you check out, it should still get something if the path exists. If you check out "trunk" you get the trunk, but if you check out a folder higher then you just get trunk and the branches and the tags.

I didn't put "trunk" on the end of the paths in case people wanted to check out a tag, but I guess it makes sense for a "getting started" guide to point people to exactly where they need to be. I'll change the page now so that it links to trunk and make it clearer that the links are different to the URLs you've just been browsing.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

darpified
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

16%

Postby darpified at 25 May 2009, 15:38

rp@ares:~/src/WarFoundry$ svn co svn://svn.ibboard.co.uk/IBBoard/IBBoard.Log4Net/trunk
svn: No repository found in 'svn://svn.ibboard.co.uk/IBBoard/IBBoard.Log4Net/trunk'

rp@ares:~/src/WarFoundry$ svn info svn://svn.ibboard.co.uk/IBBoard/IBBoard/trunk
svn: No repository found in 'svn://svn.ibboard.co.uk/IBBoard/IBBoard/trunk'

rp@ares:~/src/WarFoundry$ svn info svn://svn.ibboard.co.uk/WarFoundry/IBBoard.WarFoundry.API/trunk
svn: No repository found in 'svn://svn.ibboard.co.uk/WarFoundry/IBBoard.WarFoundry.API/trunk'

Something's still not quite right, double checking to make sure my subversion isn't broken...

rp@ares:~/src/kdesvn$ ls
build      kdeedu         kdenetwork        kdesupport    kdewebdev
extragear  kdegames       kdepim            kdetoys       log
kde        kdegraphics    kdepimlibs        kdeutils      qt-copy
kdeadmin   kdelibs        kdeplasma-addons  kdevelop      successfully-built
kdebase    kdemultimedia  kdesdk            kdevplatform  unsermake
rp@ares:~/src/kdesvn$ svn update kdesdk
A    kdesdk/cmake/modules/KDECTestNightly.cmake
U    kdesdk/umbrello/umbrello/docwindow.h
...snip....

I build my own KDE4 when I feel particularly masochistic, so my svn client
is working.

I don't know, perhaps a firewall issue?

I can browse the source via the TRAC browser.

Ah well, I'm currently chipping away at the infuriating AB custom compression
format, and from there doing a trial run of getting Confrontation rulesets
written up. Just to verify that the engine will be appropriate for it.

If no one else demonstrates any interest, I can also trial the Warmachine/Hordes,
as I have all of the books.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 25 May 2009, 20:00

Sorry, I just checked the links again and realised that the capitalisation is wrong this time. The first folder should be "ibboard" or "warfoundry", not "IBBoard" or "WarFoundry". I'll update the Wiki again now.

Thanks for investigating the compression format. If we can break it then it would be great, but I'm not too sure how to reverse engineer something as complex as a compression algorithm. On the plus side you should be able to get a good range of only slightly different files by creating tiny test files through the Army Builder constructor.

If you find anything useful, please add it to the .ab file format wiki page (or a sub-page). Also, something I forgot to mention before, if you can supply any useful information or points that we don't handle with the game systems that you play then that'd be great.

Thanks.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

darpified
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

16%

Postby darpified at 25 May 2009, 22:53

Bam, got it updating now.

I was going to spend a few hours or so tonight pecking away at the compression format for AB.

Once I've done that I'm going to make sure I can build it both on Linux and Windows.

I use Visual Studio 2008, with the AnkhSVN extension to enable subversion support
from within VS (it's open source and free), I don't know if it works on the
express versions of Visual Studio however.
So I'll be getting my environment setup to my liking.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 26 May 2009, 19:24

AFAIK it won't. There was a TestDriven.Net plugin that got a "cease and desist" note from Microsoft. The Express versions aren't supposed to support plugins, but the developer had found how to get them supported in the Express editions. I think Microsoft 'fixed' it later and forced him to make his extensions incompatible with Express.

One thing to be careful of with using Visual Studio 2008 is that we're aiming for C# 2.0 compatibility (I use MonoDevelop on Linux and Visual Studio C# Express 2005 or whatever it is in Windows). There should be a setting, possibly already part of the .csproj file, but it'll be something to keep an eye on.

Good luck with the Army Builder files and keep us posted (in separate threads where appropriate ;) )