IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Dawn of War 2

Postby IBBoard at 29 Mar 2008, 10:01

Apparently the Belgians have got sick of just being a small country and have released some major news: Dawn of War 2 should be released at some point in 2009!

So far my thoughts are mixed. I've seen scans of the magazine (which won't be linked to from here for copyright reasons) and the graphics look great. The fact that it is based on the same engine as CoH should make it much better as well (interactive scenery etc). Some of the comments here are a little less inspiring, though:
optimised for DX10 and multicore support

Hopefully that is "optimised" and not "requires it to run reasonably but will just about run on less"
Relic wants to give players rewards at the end of a mission like wargear (armor, weapons, rare objects); "Let's pimp out squads with cool stuff!"

I just hope like hell that this doesn't mean "uber-gold". It's always one of the first things that needs removing (along with those fugly "glowing skulls" for upgrades). Whoever added them needs shooting.

There was also a snippet on Hangar-8's forums in with a list of comments that said the commanders and units will interact more in their speech, for example comments about the size of the FC's hammer from the Warboss but only if the FC has the hammer. It's good to have variety and relevance, but I hope it doesn't sound like some naff pissing contest.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Re: Dawn of War 2

Postby stfas at 29 Mar 2008, 10:08

as i said there: its a great game! and a game can't be entirely perfect can it?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 03 Apr 2008, 18:11

It is now official: THQ have announced Dawn of War 2 and set the release date as Spring 2009. Only one year until release date!
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Postby stfas at 03 Apr 2008, 18:51

now we just need to wait over one year! time doesn't really matter as it goes fast either way..........

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 04 Apr 2008, 06:11

A little too fast, sometimes! If only we could speed up the weekdays and slow down the weekends so it didn't seem like most of my time was spent at work and I hardly got to do anything at home :D

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Postby stfas at 04 Apr 2008, 09:15

yeah that would be nice :), well back on topic again

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 04 Apr 2008, 19:33

I'm wondering whether to replace my processor and whether my machine will handle DoW2 when it comes out.

Company of Heroes is about a year and a half old, but only needed a 2GHz processor and a 64MB graphics card with Pixel Shader 1.1 (which only seemed to rule out GeForce MX cards, but not the 8xxx series Radeons). That's not huge leaps ahead of Dawn of War and does keep the bottom end of the market still in the picture.

My computer currently has a 256MB X800 Radeon, but only a 3500+ Athlon, which might not make it when they're optimising for dual-core. Since it's a socket 939 processor I can't get new upgrades, so I've got to go second hand. A guy at work was going to sell me an FX-57 with an Artic Cooler, but he left before I got it. I've asked around and someone else is offering me a 4200+ X2 for the same price with a stock cooler (it runs cooler than the FX anyway). It's got an identical core speed to my current processor, but has two of them.

It's not bad at £40, and eBay would be more, but a few of the guys said that I'd get more bang for my buck just waiting until its release and upgrading mobo/processor/memory for ~£200-£300. That might be true, but especially when I'll have a son who is approaching one by then it might not really be an option.

So, are Relic likely to greatly increase the system requirements with the Essence 2 engine? Is my £40 going to be wasted on what equates to basically an extra core of the same speed? Or will they (with it being an RTS) manage to keep it as quite a reasonable minimum spec?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 05 Apr 2008, 12:25

Just as another quick update: there's also now a Dawn of War 2 website. It has an interesting teaser video (although IMO the Ork looks too big or the Marine is too small) and a few screenshots so far (in which the Orks look too shiny) but it's a start when it won't be available for a year.

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Postby stfas at 05 Apr 2008, 23:20

its interesting always

Sanguinius
4th Year Cadet
4th Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

65%

Postby Sanguinius at 20 Aug 2008, 17:05

i know this is an old thread, but the fourth race has been confirmed!
the four races are.....drum roll please....
eldar!
space marines!
orks!
and.....
tyranids!!!!!

finally.....also the 'shine' found on some units will not be deleted or toned-down, because the orks have a tendency to polise there crappy pixelated armor.

official interview/gameplay here
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/war ... slot;img;2

ack couldnt insert link(my dad[not a savvy computer guy] inserted a viruse here so some basic functions are not functioning)
my youtube account is rapidfire544.
i try to post often but school is stopping me. =P

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 20 Aug 2008, 18:56

Links are just
Code: Select all
[url=link here]text here[/url]

Or the forum recognises anything that stars http:// (which it seems to have done in this case).

It's interesting that GameSpot exclusively reveal who it is, since IGN have also announced it. Also, someone should fire whoever wrote that GameSpot article. Toxic Tyranids? Like that's going to make people think it's a decent game.

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Postby stfas at 20 Aug 2008, 20:33

i still don't get it.... the tyranid fans must really like bugs, since tyranids are gigantic bugs.

Sanguinius
4th Year Cadet
4th Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

65%

Postby Sanguinius at 21 Aug 2008, 09:01

well, im kinda a tyranid fan(when you spend hours killin' them in space hulk they grow on you) and yea; they are giant bugs(aka cockroaches). gw got some of their ideas from starship troopers, so its no suprise that the tryranids would have so many fans. :lol: :roll:
my youtube account is rapidfire544.
i try to post often but school is stopping me. =P

Seaglen
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

90%

Postby Seaglen at 21 Aug 2008, 09:23

i watched starship troopers the other day.

yeah, 'nids are basically a cross between the bugs from that and alien.

watching that film made me want to convert some guardsdmen being slaughtered by 'nids!

orks tend to polish their armour??? maybe freebooters or some very rich flash git...

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Postby stfas at 21 Aug 2008, 11:50

some units like gaunts actually got a liking to dinosaurs too.

Next