IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Cry Havoc! WarFoundry v0.1 is on Linux!

Postby IBBoard at 30 Apr 2011, 18:16

Following on from the WinForms announcement, I thought I'd announce the release of the Linux (GTK#) version of WarFoundry v0.1. The two versions should have an identical feature set, but the GTK# interface will look native on Linux.

Thanks to everyone who tested it and helped in the development of v0.1, including those who tested the Windows side of the functionality - it still helped the Linux side.

Now, onward to v0.2!
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Re: Cry Havoc! WarFoundry v0.1 is on Linux!

Postby snowblizz at 01 May 2011, 15:21

Yaaay!

Mainly of course because now I can get you going on nifty 0.2 Winforms stuff... :lol: :lol: :lol:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 01 May 2011, 18:10

:D I've been working on 0.2 for a while anyway, because I was waiting for feedback on the release candidate for Linux. HeWhoWatches appeared back on the forums a few weeks ago and said the RC was okay, so after a couple of months it was eventually pushed as a 'Gold' release.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

steamboat28
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

4%

Postby steamboat28 at 05 Jul 2011, 04:52

I'm relatively new to Linux and wargaming, and I found this site as an alternative to a Windows-based solution. I downloaded the Linux package, and I can't get it to run in Ubuntu, but I can get it (the same package) to run on my friend's windows machine. Am I doing something wrong, is it an odd issue with my hard/software, or is there something that might explain this?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 05 Jul 2011, 18:47

Have you got Mono installed? I can't remember whether Ubuntu comes with it by default or not. Also, what errors does it show? You should be able to run it from the command-line using "mono WarFoundry.exe" and it should give you more details.

Also, if the same version runs on your friend's Windows machine then either a) they've got an unusual machine that has GTK# installed or b) you're running the sub-standard (for Linux) WinForms version. If it is the latter then it will work on Linux, but I'd recommend getting the GTK# version instead. All of the features are basically the same, it is just a different GUI around the same back-end, and it'll look prettier and like the rest of your desktop.

I'll try to write some instructions now that clear up system requirements etc. Thanks.

steamboat28
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

4%

Postby steamboat28 at 05 Jul 2011, 22:45

I checked the Mono site, and it says Ubuntu has it by default, so I double checked that it was upgraded and all that jazz. It isn't giving any error messages, it's just...not doing anything. I haven't tried the command line route yet, but I will now! Sorry for all the questions; I'm not as linux-savvy as I ought to be. Thanks for your help!

EDIT
After runing it in the terminal with
Code: Select all
mono WarFoundry-GTK.exe
, it worked just fine. Seeing this, I went to the executable's Properties, and set the "Open With" to use a "Custom Command" for
Code: Select all
mono
. Now, when I click the icon in my File Manager, it works like a charm. Just in case anybody else had a problem like I did.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 07 Jul 2011, 19:52

Ah, maybe Wine snagged it and tried to run it, at which point it would fail. Unfortunately, unlike JPG and GIF, there's no obvious differentiators between 'normal' EXE files that Wine can run and .Net EXEs that Mono needs to run. If you have lots of 'normal' apps from Windows that you want to run from a double-click then having Wine as the default would make sense. If you have lots of .Net apps that you want to run from a double-click then having Mono as the default makes sense.

Maybe we need a tiny shell script that just calls "mono WarFoundry-GTK.exe", called "WarFoundry-GTK" :)