IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Most important steps for v0.1?

Postby IBBoard at 02 Feb 2010, 20:03

I'm sorry that things have been going slowly recently, but I took a bit of a break post-Christmas to play the amazing World of Goo, then I started investigating the Linux side of WarFoundry more, then we've obviously just lost the weekend to some potentially unnecessary threats of legal action.

The advantage with that last point is that it has spurred me on a bit, as I now know more than ever that we need a real competitor to WarFoundry. They can get away with a lot in possible bluff and bluster because they're a big company and we're still small, but if WarFoundry gains all of the features we need and gets Army Builder file loading working then we'll be able to fight them on several fronts (price, freedom and features). The problem is that I need help getting us there.

Looking at the remaining open tickets, it looks like the WinForms version is nearly at v0.1. There are still a few things I need to clean up in the API for future compatibility, but other things are comparatively minor.

The most important question is: Does v0.1 really need to have selectable abilities? How many units have optional abilities and is it a core feature that we need in v0.1, or can it be moved to v0.2?

Also, please throw in (preferably as tickets ;) ) anything else that you think a "core basic features" v0.1 release may be missing.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

furrie
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

60%

Re: Most important steps for v0.1?

Postby furrie at 03 Feb 2010, 08:45

Selectable abilities is great, but now it can be done with the equipment part, so it isn't realy necessary for v0.1. As for usefull features, I'll go think about it and when I come up with something, I'll post a ticket.
warhammer fantasy/40K player
the WarFoundry datafile group

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 03 Feb 2010, 14:30

No the abilities seem to be enough as is so far. At least Warhammer pretty much works with the principle that you either HAVE a rule or you don't.

Sure I have a lot of stuff I'd want to include, but that's hardly news. 0.2 & 0.3 stuff I guess. Let's just say my view is firmly set towards the horizon and 1.0. ;-)

Tsudico
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

60%

Postby Tsudico at 03 Feb 2010, 15:55

I think moving on would be a great thing for WarFoundry - The Faction Roster Creator and List Developer program. Onward and forward to 1.0.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 04 Feb 2010, 19:52

Okay, I'll shift ability selection to v0.2 (or at least "a later version" - we probably need to discuss priorities and the number of releases between 0.1 and 1.0)

Tsudico: I like the app description. Not quite as catchy as it could be, though ;)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 18 Feb 2010, 19:55

After a bit of tinkering, we now have a way of voting for tickets. If you think a ticket is an important feature then log in, go to the ticket, give it a vote by clicking on a star rating. We then have a report to see what tickets have what rating.

If people can vote for tickets or say what they think needs fixing before the final release then I can try to push out what will hopefully be a final beta :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 21 Feb 2010, 20:15

As well as the general "do we need anything for 'core' functionality and v0.1?", do we need anything for the WinForms interface? There is currently one outstanding "make WinForms app" ticket, which is the parent ticket that says "make it". If nothing else needs adding then I can close it.