Explaining the XML tags....

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Explaining the XML tags....

Postby snowblizz at 05 Dec 2009, 19:03

Would it be possible to get a practical example of how to form the abilities and notes tags.
Or are they not implemented yet?

I just can't seem to be able to form the proper syntax.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: Explaining the XML tags....

Postby IBBoard at 06 Dec 2009, 19:38

I think there should be examples in the sample files on the download page. I've tested the functionality, so there were some files with them in somewhere and they should be the ones I uploaded :)

From a quick skim of the XSD file, <notes> is just a single tag with plain text content (e.g. "<notes>some notes go here - should be plain text, although some special characters will need to be encoded, e.g. &lt; for less than)</notes>") and abilities behave quite similar to equipment (defined globally then referenced in each unit type).

I'll see what I can expand on in the write-up Wiki page, although it might have to wait until tomorrow.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 06 Dec 2009, 20:07

Whaddayaknow... there is.
LAST place I'd thought to look. Oops.

Bloody hell! It doesn't like the ability tags...

Seems It works with one ability, but if I add another abiltiy to the <abilities> tag it goes to heck.

Code: Select all
WARN  [22:12:45]: FrmMain.FileLoadingFinished() - Line: 0 - Failed to load C:\Users\Henri\WarFoundry-WinForms-v0.1-beta-5\data\40k - Chaos Deamons.race: Problem validating against schema for WarFoundry data: The element 'abilities' in namespace 'http://ibboard.co.uk/warfoundry/race' has invalid child element 'ability' in namespace 'http://ibboard.co.uk/warfoundry/race'.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 06 Dec 2009, 22:23

Curses - looks like another minor bug in the schema. From a quick check and comparison with other parts of the document it appears to be missing a 'maxLimit="unbounded"' attribute on the <ability> tag. I'll fix it tomorrow and make sure that multiples work! The error from .Net could have been clearer that it was only expecting one and found a second, though.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 07 Dec 2009, 14:20

Yup, I managed to fix it in my "own" schema now that you mentioned it. I couldn't figure out the exact error, certainly not from the log!

I've found there's a difference in logging messages between beta0.5 and current "trunk" version? Or have I just compiled it badly myself?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 07 Dec 2009, 19:28

There's nothing I've knowingly done - what kind of "difference" is there? The format you posted looks correct, and there haven't been any changes to the format for about five weeks, so it should be the "beta 5" release.

I'll just fix up the schema now.

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 07 Dec 2009, 20:22

That was the more informative message coming from the beta5. The "trunk" version just says:

Code: Select all
WARN  [22:12:25]: FrmMain.FileLoadingFinished() - Line: 0 - Failed to load C:\Users\Henri\IBBoard.WarFoundry.GUI.WinForms\bin\Release\data\40k - Chaos Deamons.race: Data file C:\Users\Henri\IBBoard.WarFoundry.GUI.WinForms\bin\Release\data\40k - Chaos Deamons.race was not a valid race file

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 08 Dec 2009, 19:44

File a bug with the data file attached. It might be expected because that might be the "I didn't find a suitable file loader" message. If it is a new file that someone just created as a Zip and renamed then it'd be missing the "magic content" in the comment, which I used to identify file types without relying on file extension (which is the Linux/Unix/underlying Mac way of doing things), but it does make the files that little bit more difficult to make for some people.

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 08 Dec 2009, 20:42

Well... there was nothing wrong with the datafile per se. It just had several <ability> tags which the old schema didn't like. Its just that beta5 says its something with the <abilities>, which is why I originally asked you to explain them as I couldn't get it to work. However the trunk version I compiled did not give that error message. So I've actually been copying datafiles to beta5 and running them to see if it says anything beyond "file not working".

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 09 Dec 2009, 19:10

We're really off-topic now, but that is interesting. There shouldn't be any difference that I can think of, but I'll have to look in to it.

Tsudico
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

60%

Postby Tsudico at 19 Jan 2010, 01:51

I have a question concerning the functioning of some XML tags that may not be fully functional as of yet. I'm trying to set up a unit that has a variable retinue of characters that may have different weapon configurations for each model. While I understand that there is a per unit equipment slot and mutex configurations, I'm having trouble understanding how I could do so on a model basis. Would the proper thing to do be creating a unit that <contains> all the models as <containedUnit> designations per model and then each model would be considered a sub-unit to the other unit? If so, is there a way to override the number of minSize and maxSide in <containedUnit> to allow for a different range then the normal <unit> tag? Actually, being able to override the unit name might be helpful as well.

I figured the best way to assist in learning the current progress and help with beta testing was by trying to create my own file for army creation.

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 19 Jan 2010, 09:09

Ah <containedUnit>. That one isn't complemented yet. I've been pushing IBBoard on the matter though... (hint hint)
What you suggest would be the way I'd do it e.g. for retinues like Ork Nobz. In lieu of the <containedUnit> I've used the mutex and equipmentslot to accomplish the same.

In short, since the tag isn't fully functional yet I can't say how exactly it would work.
For a workaround check my Ork datafiles on our file yahoo group.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 19 Jan 2010, 19:52

Just checked Tsudico's posts - look like it is long time no see. Welcome back :)

Unit containership needs a bit more planning for interface issues etc before it is implemented, which needs a bit of input from users on how they think it would be most intuitive. A combination of mutex and equipment slots is the current best method. It wouldn't let you do it "per model" as such, but by setting the limit on the slot to the size of the unit and assigning weapons to slots then you can get the same effect (e.g. 5 Nobs can have up to 5 sluggas or 5 shootas, or any combination thereof). In combination with mutex you can get most combinations of allowed equipment, even if it is just listed as "3 of X, 4 of Y and 1 of Z" instead of "A B and C have X and Y while D has Z and Y".

Hope that helps :)

Tsudico
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

60%

Postby Tsudico at 19 Jan 2010, 22:21

Yeah, I've been in a wait and hold pattern and just noticed that WarFoundry code was released. If I can get the time, I'd like to work on creating a race and system editor. Yet another reason I'm trying to figure out all the details of the XML.

The equipment slots and mutex choices would probably work, but there is still other reasons for example: Tau Crisis Commanders have their own equipment selection, then can have up to two bodyguard suits with equipment choices allotted to them. Either way I'm going to need to <containedUnit> the bodyguard suits, but since a normal Crisis team is 1-3 I'd like to modify the maxSize of the unit to 2 given the situation. Other examples would be Drones, which can have unit sizes different then the 2 allowed for war gear.

A benefit for overriding the various attributes of the <unit> tag through <containedUnit> would be that it may actually simplify validation and requirement testing given the above examples.