IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: Translating WarFoundry

Postby IBBoard at 26 Oct 2009, 21:01

I do try not to hard-code strings, but sometimes it's just quicker and "I'll go back later", only I forget about it :) I do think we should get it working and translated first before we worry about cross-references in IDs to reduce future translation work :D
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 01 Nov 2009, 21:07

v0.1b4 has been released and I did a bit of work just before the final build to fix up the translations. It should now be fairly fully translated and the translation file should be a little bit more organised. If anyone does make any translation files then please attach them to the ticket :)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Frostlee
Guardsman
Guardsman
Progress to next rank:

20%

Postby Frostlee at 05 Nov 2009, 09:57

my internet doesent work every day, but i'm still around here! ;)

while offline i managed to prepare a first version of the translation file for italian.
let me check few things and then i'll attach it!

problems not yet checked:

* all the & work as they are supposed to
* all the strings fit their expected space (sometimes translated string could be quite longer than the english one)
* all the "è" "à" "ì" are displayed correctly

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 05 Nov 2009, 19:48

Good to see you're still around. Hopefully the Internet will pull itself together for you at some point! TBH I've not actually tested the "&" in the English, but it renders correctly (underlines) so I assumed it'd work. I've not tested out accented characters, but I think the .Net strings support them.

If it all works then please attach the translation to the translation ticket. If something doesn't work (e.g. messing up accents) then please submit a ticket about it and attach the translation to the bug report instead.

I actually found that some of the English translation strings (which are generally just capitalisations of the uncapitalised defaults, so I can check the 'translation' has worked) ended up a bit too long for their text boxes. It'll be an interesting thing to resolve in WinForms as everything is absolutely positioned and sized. GTK would be a bit easier as everything is just in a flow layout, but that would be more difficult to install on a Windows system. Not impossible, just a few extra steps :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 21 Nov 2009, 16:43

I've found another area that was using fixed strings, so that's being translated now. Anyone who has done any translations will need to check the changes and update accordingly. Hopefully it'll mean people can give a slightly nicer presentation than my default as well :)

Lord_Archaon
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

18%

Postby Lord_Archaon at 10 Dec 2009, 15:51

Hello everyone! I'm also from CDO and i also found this site from snowblizz. :) I would like to help with your project, but sadly the only thing i know about programming is a bit of PHP and Delfi. :( But i'd gladly help with translating, and/or data files, that contain unit/equipment options for WH and WH40k.
My third language is russian, so if you need a translation, i can do it. If i can help with anything feel free to ask. ;)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 11 Dec 2009, 19:26

Welcome to the forums, and thanks for the offer. Depending on what PHP you know (whether you're more PHP3/4 with functions or PHP4/5 with proper object-oriented concepts) then you could probably pick up C# without too much difficulty, if you wanted. I learnt Perl from scratch by pulling apart a forum script at about age 16, moved to PHP and pulled apart another forum script, got taught a little Visual Basic and Pascal at college, learnt some Java and C# at University and then did loads more C# in my own time.

In terms of translations, the latest translation files are available here. If you want to translate WarFoundry (currently the Windows version) then download the en.translation file, rename it to whatever the language is (e.g. ru.translation for Russian) and get translating. Once you've translated the file then sign up on our development site and attach it to this ticket and I'll add it to the next release. Snowbilzz has already contributed a Swedish translation.

We don't have a UI for changing translations at the moment, so if you want to translate the app and use your language then you'll have to manually edit the WarFoundryPref.xml file and change "en" to "ru" (or whatever is appropriate).

Lord_Archaon
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

18%

Postby Lord_Archaon at 12 Dec 2009, 15:39

Ok, got it. :) I'll translate the app. till the Christmas, or even faster.
I have a bunch of books for C# that my older brother left when he moved away, so maybe i'll start reading them someday.

Lord_Archaon
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

18%

Postby Lord_Archaon at 12 Dec 2009, 16:15

Tried to check if the translation file works properly and it doesn't. I've downloaded se.translation to check where is the problem.

When i change the

<preference id="language" type="System.String">en</preference>
to
<preference id="language" type="System.String">se</preference>

i get this error when try to open the app.

Translation loading failed for language se

What else do i need to change in the WarFoundryPref.xml besides the preference id="language" type?

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 12 Dec 2009, 19:04

Lord_Archaon wrote:Tried to check if the translation file works properly and it doesn't. I've downloaded se.translation to check where is the problem.

What else do i need to change in the WarFoundryPref.xml besides the preference id="language" type?

Nothing as far as I know. The translation needs to be in the translations folder but other than that I couldn't say where its going wrong.

The translation works for me. So the file itself should be sound. But then I wrote it and would say that. :P

Lord_Archaon
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

18%

Postby Lord_Archaon at 12 Dec 2009, 19:27

Finally i found the problem. I was modifying the downloadable eng version and it didn't work for me as well as SE version, but when i tried to modify the version that was attached to WarFoundry v0.1 beta 5 everything worked, though the encoding was wrong and Cyrillics isn't showed right.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 12 Dec 2009, 19:42

Hmmmmm, the downloadable "EN" version should be what is packaged in v0.1b5, so it shouldn't make a difference which one you use. In terms of encoding and Cyrillic characters, you'll probably need to find out what the replacement for"ISO-8859-1" is that handles Cyrillic. I've only ever worked with Latin-based languages (English, French, German, etc) so I don't know off the top of my head what it is.

[edit] From a bit of poking and examining what C# uses, it looks like you might want "UTF-16". C#/.Net should handle it fine and it should have all of the characters that you need. If not then drop in a ticket and I'll investigate.

Lord_Archaon
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

18%

Postby Lord_Archaon at 12 Dec 2009, 20:09

UTF-16 isn't working. I found encoding windows-1251 and it's working, though i guess it won't work at Mac and Linux. I'll drop it in a ticket when i double check the translation. :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 12 Dec 2009, 20:40

Odd. As I said, I've never used it, but I'd have thought that something like that should work (unless your editor wasn't saving UTF-16 - apparently Notepad doesn't by default).

Linux can support the Windows character sets, but a couple of places I just found suggest ISO-8859-5 instead (similar, but officially standardised).

Actually, after a bit more looking round it appears that a simple UTF-8 might work as well for Cyrillic. I just gave it a quick test (copied a "Windows Cyrillic", "Windows Central European" and 'e acute' character in to a translation and ran it up) and they all showed up okay once I told Notepad to save in UTF-8 as well.

Lord_Archaon
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

18%

Postby Lord_Archaon at 12 Dec 2009, 21:16

I attached the translation.
Tried both ISO-8859-5 and UTF-8. UTF-8 doesn't work at all, ISO-8859-5 works but makes wrong encoding. Words aren't readable. :)
Is there is anything else i can help with? I'm a bit skilled with photoshop, so if you need something to be done i can help.

PreviousNext