IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Want to beta test on Linux or Mac?

Postby IBBoard at 17 Sep 2009, 12:01

Having contacted someone who had previously shown an interest in WarFoundry, I found that they were a Mac user.

Now, I'm a Linux user and (when I can't avoid it) Windows user, hence the cross-platform aspect of WarFoundry. WarFoundry for Linux is in the works (we have a GTK# version) and WarFoundry for Mac is possible but unfortunately we don't have any developers at the moment (I've got an old iBook, but Mono only supports OS X 10.4 and later, where as my iBook is still 10.3.9 with no money to upgrade it).

The good news is that you can still try out WarFoundry by using the WinForms version through Mono. It isn't pretty (think Windows 95 buttons), and there are one or two UI glitches in it, but if you want to help test WarFoundry as a whole then using the WinForms UI will still help us work out back-end bugs and features even if the front-end doesn't look native.

Here's the released beta version running on my Fedora 11 system at work:
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

furrie
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

60%

Re: Want to beta test on Linux or Mac?

Postby furrie at 09 Dec 2009, 20:36

If you need testers, I have dual booted linux and windows 7 on my PC, though I hardly use linux because I can't get the internet connection to work.
warhammer fantasy/40K player
the WarFoundry datafile group

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 11 Dec 2009, 19:35

Linux testers would be great, I've just got to get a more up-to-date build made at some point. So far all of the testers have been on Windows, so the WinForms version has been the focus while the GTK# version lagged behind. I've also not wanted to put much work in to the GTK# interface if Qt# ends up being nicer to work with (once I get Qyotodevelop set up and working in MonoDevelop). Windows 7 testing would probably be quite useful as well since my main Windows test environment is XP and I'm not shelling out for Windows 7 any time soon :)

It's a bit odd to have problems with Internet connections these days in Linux, especially on a machine new enough to have Windows 7. Is it a funny wireless card that the manufacturers haven't released any specs for? I had problems a few years ago with Netgear USB wireless adapters, but they've improved since then (and I've gone wired on my desktop!)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

backmarker
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

4%

Postby backmarker at 15 Dec 2009, 09:28

I could test on Ubuntu if you would like

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 15 Dec 2009, 12:45

I can test on openSUSE at home and Fedora (if I really want to) on my work machine, but testing on Ubuntu would be useful as well. One day (possibly in the distant future) I'll even work out how to package Mono apps as Debs/RPMs and have some packages that really will need testing on Ubuntu rather than Linux in general :)

As it says in the first post, the existing WinForms version of the app should work in Ubuntu and there is either a GTK# or a Qt# version in the pipeline (the GTK# version is available from source control and can be built with MonoDevelop, if you're familiar with it), but the Windows-focus of beta testers means that the WinForms is the only one with an 'official' release.

furrie
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

60%

Postby furrie at 20 Dec 2009, 13:27

I will see if I can build the program using monodevelop (never realy tried to do anything with monodevelop).
I almost forget I can test on vista as wel (its installed on my netbook)

*edit*
Dp I need all of the project files on http://dev.ibboard.co.uk/projects/warfo ... ingStarted.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 20 Dec 2009, 19:29

It depends what you're testing. To run the GTK# (native Linux) version then you need everything from the "WarFoundry API" list, plus everything from the "WarFoundry GTK#" list. If you want to test the WarFoundry WinForms (native Windows) version then you need everything from the "WarFoundry API" list plus everything from the "WarFoundry S.W.F" list (although I've only ever built that UI using Visual Studio Express 2005, not MonoDevelop).

furrie
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

60%

Postby furrie at 07 Jan 2010, 18:48

need some help compiling the program (on ubuntu). I have installed monoDevelop and would like the GTK version. I already have the source code(used tortoise)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 07 Jan 2010, 19:26

What are you stuck with? Have you read the "How to set everything up for testing the bleeding edge?" topic from about here down, where I explained the setup to Snowblizz?

Basically, if you've got the required projects then you should just need to put them all in one folder so that each project folder in the same place, run up MonoDevelop, create a new solution and import the existing projects, then it should automatically pick up all of the references.

furrie
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

60%

Postby furrie at 09 Jan 2010, 14:13

When I try to load the solution of IBBoard.WarFoundry.GUI.GTK I get the following error: [img]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r194/paassei/furrie/warfoundry_project_start_errors.png[/img]

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 09 Jan 2010, 18:53

Since we don't have an MDS/SLN file yet (the whole solution, as opposed to the project files) you probably just need to create your solution in the right order. Try downloading all of the required projects, creating a blank solution, and then adding existing projects in the following order:
  • IBBoard
  • IBBoard.GtkSharp
  • IBBoard.WarFoundry.API
  • IBBoard.WarFoundry.Plugin.Rollcall
  • IBBoard.WarFoundry.GUI.GTK
If they're all in the same folder then the ordering should fix any dependency issues and they should be picked up automatically.

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 09 Jan 2010, 19:57

Something to think about, which might be mentioned in the other thread. When I downloaded the stuff they all were placed in their respective "trunk" folders. Take the content of those and move it into the same folder and build the solution from there. Something like that is how I finally got it to work.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 09 Jan 2010, 20:41

I think that depends on the tool that you use to check out the files and quite how you do it. Eclipse (the IDE I use for Java work) checks out "trunk" but names it according to the project it find inside by default. Most SVN tools aren't quite that useful/helpful, though. The other alternative, which may or may not work (I haven't tested), would be to create the correctly named folder and then check out everything within "trunk" in to that folder.

furrie
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

60%

Postby furrie at 10 Jan 2010, 11:54

I made a new solution and added all the projects in the order ibboard said. In that step I didn't had any errors, but when I tried to compile the thing everything is fine except when it comes to the last project (the gui.gtk) then I get the following errors:
- [Task:File=/home/furrie/development/warfoundry/IBBoard.WarFoundry.GUI.GTK/FrmChangeGameSystem.cs, Line=6, Column=26, Type=Error, Priority=Normal, Description=The type or namespace name `API' does not exist in the namespace `IBBoard.WarFoundry'. Are you missing an assembly reference?(CS0234)]
- [Task:File=/home/furrie/development/warfoundry/IBBoard.WarFoundry.GUI.GTK/FrmChangeGameSystem.cs, Line=7, Column=26, Type=Error, Priority=Normal, Description=The type or namespace name `API' does not exist in the namespace `IBBoard.WarFoundry'. Are you missing an assembly reference?(CS0234)]
- [Task:File=/home/furrie/development/warfoundry/IBBoard.WarFoundry.GUI.GTK/FrmNewArmy.cs, Line=7, Column=15, Type=Error, Priority=Normal, Description=The type or namespace name `Lang' does not exist in the namespace `IBBoard'. Are you missing an assembly reference?(CS0234)]
- [Task:File=/home/furrie/development/warfoundry/IBBoard.WarFoundry.GUI.GTK/FrmNewArmy.cs, Line=8, Column=26, Type=Error, Priority=Normal, Description=The type or namespace name `API' does not exist in the namespace `IBBoard.WarFoundry'. Are you missing an assembly reference?(CS0234)]
- [Task:File=/home/furrie/development/warfoundry/IBBoard.WarFoundry.GUI.GTK/FrmNewArmy.cs, Line=9, Column=26, Type=Error, Priority=Normal, Description=The type or namespace name `API' does not exist in the namespace `IBBoard.WarFoundry'. Are you missing an assembly reference?(CS0234)]
- [Task:File=/home/furrie/development/warfoundry/IBBoard.WarFoundry.GUI.GTK/FrmNewArmy.cs, Line=14, Column=51, Type=Error, Priority=Normal, Description=The type or namespace name `ITranslatable' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?(CS0246)]
- [Task:File=/home/furrie/development/warfoundry/IBBoard.WarFoundry.Plugin.Rollcall/RollcallFactory.cs, Line=8, Column=15, Type=Error, Priority=Normal, Description=The type or namespace name `Ini' does not exist in the namespace `IBBoard'. Are you missing an assembly reference?(CS0234)]
[img]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r194/paassei/furrie/erroro_compiling.png[/img]
*note*
I used the second method ibboard gave to get the files (name the folders yourself and then put the content of the trunk in the folders). I'm using rapidsvn for it

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 10 Jan 2010, 20:07

I commit various changes (mainly the Windows ones) using RapidSVN, so it should be okay. If you expand IBBoard.WarFoundry.GUI.GTK and then expand its references, what does it show? It should reference the IBBoard.WarFoundry.API project (from which it can pick up the IBBoard.WarFoundry.API namespace) and the IBBoard project (from which it can reference the IBBoard.Lang namespace and the ITranslatable interface). If you do the same and expand the Rollcall references then it should reference IBBoard.Ini (from which it can reference the IBBoard.Ini namespace) and IBBoard.WarFoundry.API. If any of those references are missing then just add them back in, but I'll take a look and see if I can recreate it or work out what might have caused it.

Next