IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Team page created

Postby IBBoard at 29 May 2009, 19:17

I've created some team pages on the Dev site. The main reasons I did it are: a) most wikis have a user page for each member to put some details about themselves, b) it gives us a central point to link to important stuff from (like ticket lists or my DevLog), c) it gives me something to link darpified's name to when I mention he's working on the compression, and d) it means we have a slightly more obvious "WarFoundry Team" :D

Feel free to edit your user pages - they're quite minimal for now. If anyone else wants to be a member of the team (snowblizz - do you want to get more involved?) then just give me a shout and sign up to the Dev site :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Re: Team page created

Postby snowblizz at 01 Jun 2009, 16:42

I signed up for the dev site. I need to poke around a bit and get myself familiarized.

Apart from moral support (and apparently giving illogical advice based on faulty and/or misleading documentation) I can't do much yet. Not being a programmer (I'm trained to boss programmers around however) and what not. But when we get at least a basic application to work on I'll see what I can do.
Datafile creation seems my most likely angle here. Though as an IS post-grad I should know a thing or two about application development. I might be able to put this up for usability testing as well.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 01 Jun 2009, 18:18

Testing, non-technical point of view and data files are still appreciated, especially the non-technical parts. Techies have a very bad problem where they think it is all fine because they understand it, but non-technical users can't understand it and so the app fails to get anywhere and people won't use it.

Once we've got a slightly more stable/complete version (stable as in code changes rather than crashing - I've not crashed it yet!) then I'll see what I can do about a 0.1 alpha build :)

[edit] I've just created a "documenter" group who can edit the Wiki but can't do the "Admin" things to tickets. That means you can view everything, create tickets, add to tickets, and modify the Wiki. Developers (me, gregmita and darpified for now) can also edit tickets and their description (well, I can do everything, but I'm the admin :D)

Now to put you on the team page and think of a group for you!
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 02 Jun 2009, 14:24

Fanboy?
;-)

You are indeed spot on the technical bit, it is something that has come up once or maybe twice during my education... :P

Its actually an essential part of what I'm trained to do, act as a liason between managers (total noobs) and the tech side (total nerds).

darpified
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

16%

Postby darpified at 02 Jun 2009, 20:25

I went around and put a few tidbits on my page, nothing major just
a short update on where things stand.

I just got through a *rough* weekend, my family just had a rough bout
of a stomach bug, first my son (4.5 yrs old), then my daughter (1.5 yrs old)
immediately after, and finally my wife.

So lots of late nights and washing the sheets and towels.

Yuck.

So unfortunately my weekend (and week) were mostly shot, which meant my
Memorial Day (for those of you not from the U.S., it's a holiday to Memorialize
all the dead U.S. soldiers. For some reason, our way of memorializing is to
have a cookout in the back yard and drink beer.)

Oh well, back on topic an interesting tidbit from Mark Nelson, the original programmer
responsible for Greenleaf's Archivelib, which Army Builder uses...

zlib turns out to be good for more than graphics developers, however. The deflate algorithm makes an excellent general purpose compressor, and as such can be incorporated into all sorts of different software. For example, I use zlib as the compression engine in Greenleaf's ArchiveLib, a data compression library that work with ZIP archives. It's performance and compatibility mean I didn't have to reinvent the wheel, saving precious months of development time.

from http://marknelson.us/1997/01/01/zlib-engine/

Ugh, right there, performance and compatibility, I wish people would learn to embrace open
standards.

In any case, we deal with what we're stuck with, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 02 Jun 2009, 20:43

You're just in as an "other team member" for now, unless we come up with a decent title or specific section.

It sounds like an unenviable job - communicating from those who know what they're talking about to those who just talk and pretend ;) It is the one area that most techies are lacking in, though.

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 04 Jun 2009, 17:09

IBBoard wrote:You're just in as an "other team member" for now, unless we come up with a decent title or specific section.

It sounds like an unenviable job - communicating from those who know what they're talking about to those who just talk and pretend ;) It is the one area that most techies are lacking in, though.

Works for me.

In all honesty though I have yet to try to actually perform said functions. In an effort to avoid actually doing anything meaningful I'm now a post-grad student working on my PhD.

So you guys might just end up as gui... I mean valued contributors :wink:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 04 Jun 2009, 17:47

Ah, the joys of being at University. I only did a BSc, but it was an easier life than working is ;)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 17 Dec 2009, 20:22

With our new influx of users, I've updated the team page to include people who I know have made some kind of "team contribution". I've also updated Snowblizz's page to mention the data file group. If anyone wants anything added then give me a shout and I'll either add it or bump your account up to a "wiki editor", like Snowblizz.

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 18 Dec 2009, 20:55

But I'm still the bestest fan right?
;-)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 19 Dec 2009, 10:42

Yes, of course you are, you set up the data file group and help out by breaking things ;)

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Postby stfas at 19 Dec 2009, 23:06

wait, bestest isn't a word.

anyway just dropping by to show that im still here, though nothing to talk about really.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 20 Dec 2009, 19:26

Glad you're still around, even if you're not overly active recently :)

As for "bestest", have you not seen the iPod Touch (or possibly iPhone) adverts? They annoy the hell out of my wife because they say something about being the "funnest" at the end :D

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Postby stfas at 20 Dec 2009, 19:56

nope, haven't seen em, doesn't really watch tv either.

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 20 Dec 2009, 21:46

IBBoard wrote:Glad you're still around, even if you're not overly active recently :)

As for "bestest", have you not seen the iPod Touch (or possibly iPhone) adverts? They annoy the hell out of my wife because they say something about being the "funnest" at the end :D

:D

Yes, the word was carefully chosen to inject a certain level of levity into my rather presumptuous (at least from the POV of other fans I gather) claim to be the superlative fan.

See, I *can* use fancy words if I want. :clap: :P