Suggestions for new skins (16 skins to do)

bupti

RE: Suggestions for new skins (16 skins to do)

Postby bupti at 15 Sep 2005, 18:20

I have got some vehicle skin ideas for you.
What about badges on all vehicles? There are alot of vehicles, e.g. defiler, who dont have a badgesymbol on them.
The vyper could get some of this stripes, as shown here http://uk.games-workshop.com/eldar/gett ... etbike.jpg . Stripes could be made trim2 colourable or something.
I dont know much about the fluff in the w40k universum, but i know that there are some symbols for specific brands of the army in the eldar army. But i dont own an eldar codex or similar so i cant tell you what kind of symbols should be on the vehilces like fire prism and such. But i think like the dreadnaught with all his symbols for his belongings there should be similar for eldar ones.

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 15 Sep 2005, 19:11

I'm not sure theres much space for badges on a defiler is there?
But i do like the stripes on the jetbike...very cool. :)
"No Pity! No Remorse! No Beer!"

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 15 Sep 2005, 21:10

Yeah, striped Vypers might be a possibility, but like you said, there isn't much space for anything else on the Defiler! you might be able to squeeze it on a shin-pad-thing, but I'm not sure on sizes and whether that would put it on all legs and how stupid it might look etc.

I'll add them to the list anyway :) Note: this is supposed to be a suggestions list for anyone to pick up, not just my huge list of work to do :D
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 15 Sep 2005, 21:50

Thats the price you pay when you have too much skill. :D

bupti

Postby bupti at 15 Sep 2005, 22:09

I have to admit i tried to do stuff like this. But unfortunately graphic programs and me are speaking different languages. And i would need some kind of teacher to get it going and time, which i dont have right now. All i can do is some paste and cut in gimp, but thats most times try and error :D .

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 15 Sep 2005, 23:14

I know how you feel, i have the desire but no manual for Photoshop 6. So i seem to just go round in circles. :)
Still, never give up is my moto.

mel_danes

Postby mel_danes at 16 Sep 2005, 00:38

Trust me boyz' it takes a thick 'ede to git things done in photogs. I am completely self trained, I am just now taking a photoshop class in uni. Talk about a waste of time, I could teach this course. Oh well.

1.) Drive to learn. You have to want it. Photoshops interface is not intuitive.
2.) Patience. Being mad at the software is not going to get you anywhere.
3.) Realize you will not be as good as you want to be, ever. Even masters find flaws the rest of us would never see.
4.) Persistence, this is a bang your head against the wall until you get it or passout.
5.) Help menu. It's there for a reason, it doesnt know it all, but more than you.
6.)Practice. Play around, don't expect it to look good.

Believe me it is tough, but you will be free from things you know would look better if they just did this one thing, because now you can.

Pep talk over.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 16 Sep 2005, 08:26

Yeah, I'm self taught as well (Photoshop 6 - anything after that an the interface seems to be more pretty and less intuitive and functional). At first it was just painting on a single layer and not getting great results, then I found layers and they are most definately your friend, then I talked to Hangar-8 and he taught me the joys of blending options like Overlay - very useful for good highlights :)

One other tip when working, though, is to do detailed areas at double or possibly even quadruple size and resize them down - that way you get to put in detail and when you resize it still gives the correct impression of detail, even if the exact details aren't actually there :)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 16 Sep 2005, 12:51

Thanks for the tips guys, I'm glad to hear i'm not the only person that has trouble with Photoshop....I was beginning to think that i was totally thick. :shock:
Right i'm off to have another crack at it and this time i'm going to make a list of questions to post in the skinning help thread. 8)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 16 Sep 2005, 20:22

Yeah, go for it and post questions :) Some of the ways that the WTP files work can be a little strange at first (like trying to understand Dirt layers and how to get it to do somethings you want) but it's not bad once you know it :)

And I've ticked another one off the list - or will have when I upload them (hopefully this weekend)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 16 Sep 2005, 21:44

Don't forget your Grots.....i'm still waiting for the next pics. :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 17 Sep 2005, 09:31

Yeah, they're nearly done too - just got some final details on them (bleached bone on teeth, highlight the warpaint on the jaw, final painted highlight of skin and then any extra details like colouring the glyph plates) and hopefully I'll be playing with them on Tuesday :)

Kamarath

Postby Kamarath at 23 Sep 2005, 21:01

Is it possible to do a metallic color? Such as a blued silver?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 24 Sep 2005, 12:14

It should be possible - you can get metalic looking golds - it's just a case of getting the shades right. Try looking for a tutorial on making silver or steel and then add a blue overlay, if you're doing it for a texture :)

Kamarath

Postby Kamarath at 20 Oct 2005, 21:22

I ask, because I have a friends SM army that is painted completely silver and then covered with a thinned blue ink wash. It's incredibly quick and easy to paint and he asked if it was possible to do it as a skin in the video game. :)

PreviousNext