Suggestions for new skins (16 skins to do)

Space marine

RE: Suggestions for new skins (16 skins to do)

Postby Space marine at 07 Apr 2006, 15:52

IBBoard wrote:As for your comment on TGSC's post, what he meant was he wasn't sure how GW Legal are with including real-world inspiration in skins, such as WWII-esque skins. Including anything that isn't their intellectual property is not allowed (i.e. the vast majority of the junk badges on DoWFiles.com), but I'm guessing real-world military inspiration is allowed. If it wasn't, most of the Guard regiments wouldn't exist!

Oh, I see. Sorry. And sorr about the skin mis-understanding.
:oops:

Sorry again about my mistakes.

Anyway, how about a skin for the SM sarge, where the Sarge has hair like the scouts, and has the silver dots in his head (I think they are bullet holes) like the commander. Or, one where the sarge has a helmet, just like the apothecary one.

Well, something like that, because I think the Sarge is a bit boring.

P.S. Would it be a skin if he had a bolter strapped to his waist? (which would represent the fact he has put it aside in favour of close combat weapons) If it is, COOL! If it isn't, would that be a mod

*Edited by IBBoard to combine posts and fix the quoting*

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 07 Apr 2006, 18:32

Anything beyond changing the colour or texture of something requires a new model, not a skin. Adding a bolter or a helmet or anything extra like that to the Sergeant wouldn't be possible with a skin.

The Sarge with hair should be possible and, depending on the textures, might not be too difficult. Also, the metal circles are studs for service - one per century, IIRC. I'll add your suggestions (the ones that can be done as skins) in to the first post.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Space marine

Postby Space marine at 07 Apr 2006, 18:37

IBBoard wrote:Anything beyond changing the colour or texture of something requires a new model, not a skin. Adding a bolter or a helmet or anything extra like that to the Sergeant wouldn't be possible with a skin.

The Sarge with hair should be possible and, depending on the textures, might not be too difficult. Also, the metal circles are studs for service - one per century, IIRC. I'll add your suggestions (the ones that can be done as skins) in to the first post.

Right, now I fully understand skins and what they are. I thought I did, but obviously not. Thank you so much, that helps! :wink:

Also, if that means that you could change the sarge's face, could you add tattoos to ork's shoulders? Such as clan symbol, or a kill marking, e.g. 1 red line for everey 5 guardsmen he has killed.
Does that also mean that on a very small scale, change slight details to weapons. 9Probarbly not a good idea with ranged weapons, since I think that this may screw up where the bullets come out etc.) no, I was thinking of something like, etching detail into swords etc. or adding dry blood to Ork choppaz. If this is not a skin, sorry, if it is, not sorry. :lol:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 07 Apr 2006, 19:12

Things like tattoos/warpaint, blood, giving people stubble, swapping the areas that a colour applies to, making colourable areas a fixed colour, making fixed areas a selectable colour and adding detail to weaponry (although not changing the shape of the weapon) are all possible with skins.

If you've got a decent art program, why not check out the tutorials on Skins@HWT and try it yourself?
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Space marine

Postby Space marine at 07 Apr 2006, 19:13

'Fraid I dont even have a proper art program!

Space marine

Postby Space marine at 08 Apr 2006, 11:22

Cut quote: adding detail to weaponry are all possible with skins.

Good, coz the Space marine combat knives are a bit dull.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 08 Apr 2006, 20:22

*reposted following a topic split*

They're combat knives - they're not meant to be anything special Very Happy I'm not sure how much detail you can fit on them, though, because some textures (like the Bolter) and quite small and don't give you much space to play with.

Space marine

Postby Space marine at 09 Apr 2006, 12:22

But that means that you still can give detail to weapons?
I was thinking the Ork Choppaz, which are also a little dull. Maybe a few blobs of dried blood would help.

Or, Orks in general. I know there's a mod for the ork shoulder guards to be black and white checks, but how about the whole uniform, or a lot of their vehicles, particularly the wartrukk and wartrakk, and the barrel of the looted tank.

We really need some ideas for Eldar skins.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 09 Apr 2006, 13:05

Ideas for Eldar skins would be good, but I've not seen much in an Eldar army that is different to the currently available schemes, unless it's Craftworld specific like the Biel Tan thorns on Grav Tanks.

Ork Choppas could have extra detail, because I know the texture area for them is big enough. I'm not sure about the Marine knives, though. They will be textured, but if all you've got is a 5px by 20px area, that doesn't give you much to work with. Peronsally, though, I don't go for blood. For one thing it's not an effect I've managed to achieve, and for another they'd all have the same blood pattern - completely identical. Identical tattoos etc aren't too bad, but identical blood markings on all mobs of Orks seems a little odd.

Someone has suggested that I extend the Checkered skin of the Orks to more units. I'll add it to the list - a Goff skin with more checks on everything.

Space marine

Postby Space marine at 09 Apr 2006, 16:25

Maybe some mud on someone's boots?

SisterHelios
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby SisterHelios at 01 May 2006, 22:15

Has that one skin been up yup yet,not sure if it has

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 02 May 2006, 07:09

I've not heard from Adonis for a while regarding the skin, but at the moment it's approaching School/College/University examination period and if I'm remembering his age correctly, he's probably caught up in that. If he doesn't reply here soon then I'll email him and see what progress he made.

Adonis
3rd Year Cadet
3rd Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

0%

Postby Adonis at 09 May 2006, 04:46

My apologies. It's not like me to keep a lady in waiting, I assure you. Now that exams are over, I've been in search of work as well as preparing for summer classes. I'll have the texture ready very soon for you.

SisterHelios
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby SisterHelios at 11 May 2006, 21:23

Take your time,After all your life comes first,the Skin is a lot less important then real life matter,so take as long as you need,plus the skins not just for me,its really for everyone to use,I'm not that greedy lol

SisterHelios
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby SisterHelios at 29 Jun 2006, 07:55

Seems this has gotten quiet I was wondering if she skin had been sent in yet or is it still a WIP?

PreviousNext