Astro Omegas Chapter texture and background

Jubal_Quintus
1st Year Cadet
1st Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

40%

Astro Omegas Chapter texture and background

Postby Jubal_Quintus at 29 Oct 2007, 14:00

Hi all! A few years back GW held a chapter creation competition here in the states. I created a chapter and won the first place spot in the shop, which was supposed to get my model sent to the nationals and possibly land it in the White Dwarf. Well, the management lost my model for nearly a year, so I never saw my model online or in the magazine. A few years later I created the chapter in Second Life and it saw some success. Now, I've taken about two days and produced the chapter for DoW. I've reskinned nearly every Space Marine unit in DoW as well as created a badge and banner set. My chapter, the Astro Omegas are now set to be unleashed on the DoW world.

Here's a bit of fluff I wrote about them. I tried hard to fit them into the canon without disrupting what was already there. Enjoy.

Authenticate - ANA-947-70135-EO5418-INQ-59227715-DEL
Report from Lord Inquisitor Delvac
Subject: Disposition, Loyalty and Combat History of the Astro Omega Space Marine Chapter

Formed from the Ultramarine Legion during the Second Founding, after the events of the Horus Heresy, the Space Marines of the Astro Omega Chapter served our Holy Emperor and His subordinates without question until the Age of Apostasy. When the battles of that cursed period began, the chapter recalled all of it's units to their homeworld of Omegokei. On Omegokei the Omegas fortified themselves and waited out the conflict, sending out attack units to combat aliens but staying out of the conflict within the Imperium. After the Age of Apostasy the Astro Omegas lost a great deal of faith in their fellow servants of our Blessed Emperor, and began to view them all with contempt and distrust. This distrust has festered to the point that they now even question the faith of fellow marines from other great chapters for their deviations from the codex and their assistance of (and occasional alliances with) alien races. The Astro Omegas now look upon the mightiest of Chapters with distrust including the Blood Angels, Space Wolves, and even the Ultramarines from whom they were formed. The Astro Omegas view the Imperial Guard as too weak, and lacking true faith in the Emperor of Man. During my time among them I even sensed that they were skeptical of myself as well as the Holy Inquisition as a whole (the way they speak the title "Inquisitor" before my name bears a malice that makes my title sound as though it were a curse). Extreme xenophobes, the Astro Omegas have been known to disobey orders to contact or assist alien races, regardless of the reason. Their disdain for alien races was never more apparent than when they attacked and destroyed an envoy of Tau Ethereals that were en route to meet with Imperial Officials under a flag of truce.

Despite their extreme views and actions the Astro Omegas are fiercely loyal to the Imperium, and consider themselves to be the only truly devoted and loyal servants of our Great Emperor. This belief has inspired them to fight harder and longer battles than is common for even the most hardened Chapters of the Adeptus Astartes. Adeptues Astartes records tell of battles that have lasted so long that the Omegas have found themselves without sufficient ammunition; having to rely on close combat to win the day.

The Astro Omegas have a doctrine that states all marines are assault marines first and foremost. As such, their training focuses intensely on close combat, producing marines who are extremely efficient hand-to-hand combatants. This skill has proven itself to be the only thing that has allowed the Chapter to survive battles that have lasted well beyond what many commanders would be comfortable with. Many Omegas who have survived such battles now go into combat carrying more equipment and ammunition than marines from other Chapters would deem necessary. It is also not uncommon for marines of the Astro Omega Chapter to fix bayonets to their bolters or to improvise extra armour layers to their power armour. These modifications are made on an individual basis and seem to be tolerated by the chain of command as a necessity of battlefield survivability. When first joining a battle, the Omegas typically favor a strong (if possible, overwhelming) first thrust. The Astro Omegas will deep strike as many units as possible when given the opportunity. Speed, fury and violence on the objective typify an Omega attack. Records indicate that these tactics have been so effective that on most occasions when Omega commanders have had to call in a second wave it meant that the battle was going to last a very long time.

In conclusion I see no signs of heresy and believe that this Chapter is extremely fit to continue their service to our Beloved Emperor, whom they love above all.

End Report
Ref-INQDEL-90726-SL13

The Astro Omegas take a good deal of their heradlry and design from the Ultramarines, modifying it to set them apart from their father Chapter. They paint their armor a darker blue, which represents their deeper faith in the Emperor. They accent their armor heavily in white to show their purity and use a small bit of red to represent the blood they've shed for the Emperor. Almost all of the rank and file Marines of the Chapter wear silver chest eagles and other awards. Gold, being the color of the Emperors armor and throne, is considered a holy metal and only permited to be worn by Marines of the highest order within the chapter.

Awards in the Astro Omegas follow the codex very closely. One of the few exceptions are service bolts, which are not specifically outlined in the Codex Astartes. The Astro Omegas award a service bolt, implanted in the marines forehead, when the marine is first inducted into the Veteran 1st Company. The marine is then awarded a bolt for every one hundred years of service after that. Tattoos and electoos are given out as company and squad specific awards and are not documented or standardized chapter wide.

Now for the nuts and bolts of this, a few pics of some of the units.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/rakkasan240b/marine.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/rakkasan240b/sgt.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/rakkasan240b/cmd.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/rakkasan240b/landraider.jpg

I've created a (now dormant) Live Journal community for the chapter that has some pic of the models I've done also. http://community.livejournal.com/astro_omega/ If interest picks up for table top rules and the like, I might go back to creating them.

I hope you enjoyed this.
Last edited by Jubal_Quintus on 02 Nov 2007, 01:09, edited 1 time in total.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Astro Omegas Chapter texture and background

Postby IBBoard at 31 Oct 2007, 11:39

Interesting changes to the skins. I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in downloading it. If you've not already then drop me a line and I'll tell you where you can submit your files to. It might take a while to approve them (because I'm stealing time at work to check the forum etc) but they will be approved eventually :)

Splitting out to a topic...
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Postby stfas at 31 Oct 2007, 14:42

hes an old member huh

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 01 Nov 2007, 13:08

Old member? Huh?

One thing I did just notice is that although you have compressed the images then it might be best to link to them. 250KB+ isn't too bad for four pictures on broadband, but it's a bit much to be hit with on dialup.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Jubal_Quintus
1st Year Cadet
1st Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

40%

Re: Astro Omegas Chapter texture and background

Postby Jubal_Quintus at 02 Nov 2007, 01:16

Okie dokie, sorry about the pics, that was a might inconsiderate of me. I used the Contact Us link on the main site to send you info about the skins. Just lemme know what to do from here, boss. I gotta say, I'm pretty excited to share this with everyone.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 02 Nov 2007, 14:14

Will do, I've just got to get a moment to check my emails when I'm not supposed to be working or sorting things out with the house. On the plus side we now have a phone line so broadband should be on in a couple of weeks.

All you'll need to do is send the file to an email address I give you with everything the submission guidelines say included and I'll do the rest from there.