IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Windows Visual Styles/themes

Postby IBBoard at 17 Sep 2005, 18:25

I don't know if anyone else uses them, or if most people stick with what WinXP provides (or maybe don't even run XP) but we've just reinstalled XP on my g/f's computer and were looking for some suitable new style, and boy is it hard! Most of them are either Mac clones (and probably clones of Mac clones!) until they're coming out of your ears, or they're such terrible colour combinations that it'd burn the image into your eyes or give you the worst migraine ever (see here for a film-inspired sample and here, here and here for ones where the colours are just awful for normal use)

I'm using a theme called FatalIE, which is nice and clean and simple, and without the garish colours or FPI (Fisher Price Interface!) bits of default XP skins.

Is anyone else using anything? or does anyone want to know how to do it?
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

hangar-8

RE: Windows Visual Styles/themes

Postby hangar-8 at 02 Nov 2005, 20:38

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Windows Visual Styles/themes

Postby IBBoard at 03 Nov 2005, 15:46

Ahah, Hangar-8 is registered :D Maybe we'll see some posts in the skinning section...? :)

Anyway, I know of Studio 28 already - that's where my Fatal IE is actually from (it's just on Deviant Art as well and Deviant Art do a better screenie)

Customise.org is quite good - I've looked there before for some Linux skins and skins for other apps. Might have to investigate later.

Some I picked up from PCW Magazine recently are Belchfire.net and TopThemes.com (although Belchfire looks better)

The problem that I tend to have is that skins are either too bright/pale and I can't use them for long, or they're boring and dull and too dark. FatalIE manages to have enough of a fade to not look plain and be light but not too light :)
EDE-Style is being a pain at the moment and not working in Firefox :\ Very well done site, once you get to know the Flash and are forced into IE.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)