IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

'Must have' Codex/Fluff skins?

Postby IBBoard at 25 Nov 2006, 14:33

It's just a little something I was thinking about, but are there any 'must have' skins for the various races?

I think the various parts of Hangar-8's Golden Eagle Space Marines are probably a stylistic must, if not a fluffy must.

For the retro-fluff heads (the ones who remember 2nd Edition) then my Codex Apothecary and Librarian and Codex Chaplain are probably also a 'must have'.

For Chaos it'd probably be Hangar-8's Chaos Champion fix (unless 1.5 fixed the issue that the fix was for!), Hands of Fate's Chaos Sorcerer fix, Havoc's Colourable Sorcerer weapons, Hangar-8's Defiler (which, AFAIK, is still needed to fix the texture issue) and either Xen's or Mel_Danes' Chaos Lord for added spikeyness.

Eldar have the Aspect Warriors (or fixed colour Aspect Warriors for the complete fluff-nut) and possibly my Codex Craftworld Eldar. Some of the others look great, but probably aren't under the 'must have for fluffyness' category.

The Imperial Guard have several alternate camo's in the Imperial Guard Downloads section that could be considered 'must haves', but I can't choose between them. I did always quite like the vehicles in Soleil Rouge's WW2 inspired Camouflaged Tanks and Troops

Orks: As with the Guard, there's a few minor tweaks in there that myself and others have made (including my different shoulder pads and additions of extra bits to colour layers) but nothing 'must have'. Then again the Orks don't have a definitive look, so the definitive skin is always going to be difficult.

Necrons: The most obvious choice is Evil-Termite's Necrons with badges and banners. Quite why Relic left them out (or why GW asked for them to be left out) I'll never know.

Tau: As with the Necrons, one of the 'must haves' is the Tau with custom badges skin (this time by Adonis). Hangar-8's Non-teamcolourable Kroot are probably also a 'must have' for me. Although the Kroot can come in different shades, the shots I've seen of TC Kroot just go a little too far.

So, what skins do you think are indispensable either because they match the images in a Codex or because they're closer to what the fluff says they should be? Or even because of something they add in that Relic shouldn't have left out (like the Golden Eagles with additional detail and the 'with badge' packs for the Necrons and Tau)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

RE: 'Must have' Codex/Fluff skins?

Postby MadMaffMan at 25 Nov 2006, 15:30

Must have's for me have to include Hanger-8's Golden Eagle SM's and his various fixes for the Chaos skins that Relic messed up. And lets not forget his mini mod that gets rid of that damn stupid 'upgrade skull' on the Marines pauldron......god that looks naff. :lol:

When playing as Dark Angels, i always use Combat_Sheep888's skins, a must for any DA fan.

I have never really played as Eldar but the non-tc Aspect Warriors skins and your Codex Guardians are another must for me.

I hadn't seen Soleil Rouge's WW2 skins before...... :shock: .........now thats some great work, but is it Codexy. :?: Who cares i'm downloading it ASAP. :wink:

Necrons.....don't have the Codex, do they have B&B's in the TT game. :?:

My copy of the Tau Codex, 3rd Edition i think, has Kroot of all colours in it so i have no problem with bright yellow Kroot. Maybe they've been eating lots of bananas, after all they do take after what they eat. :lol:
"No Pity! No Remorse! No Beer!"

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: 'Must have' Codex/Fluff skins?

Postby IBBoard at 25 Nov 2006, 15:41

Ah yeah, forgot about the USGHSOD (Ugly, Stupid, Glowing Halloween Skull of Doom) removal mod. It's not a skin, but definitely a requirement :) And if we're going on "as a specific chapter" lines then your Black Templars and David Searle's Crimson Fists (based on my original)

Soleil Rouge's skin isn't directly codexy, but it's a great camo and the Guard use camo so I think it can be called Codexy :)

The Necrons probably don't have badges in TT, but I think they need an exception under the 'must have as a part of DoW' condition :) DoW armies without badges and banners just aren't right. The really talented painters might paint special patterns on them though, so you could re-do those as badges :)

As for Tau, yeah, I've seen some of the White Dwarf pics of the Kroot, but I think it works better if they could be coloured separately. I think it's when you start re-using the colours that you've used on the Tau armour that it starts looking odd.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)